I forgot to post something that is actually post worthy. A few weeks ago I received a call from my new visiting teacher. We are new in the ward so I didn't really know too much about her except for her name, the fact that she was pregnant with her 4th child and loves the Indigo Girls just like me. It was your typical first visiting teaching/get to know you conversation--how old is your oldest? When are you due? (her, not me) and then the 30 min. "pregnancy is really crappy" conversation that is a must when your pregnancies are anything like ours. We had been talking for quite a long time hardly taking a breath when she mentioned that she had grown up back east.
"Really? What part?"
"New Jersey."
"Really? I lived in New Jersey, too. What part?"
"Morristown"
"Wait, I lived in Morristown"
Come to find out we were in the same ward at the same time! I asked her what her maiden name was and when she said "Biada" I replied with, "Wait a minute! I remember going to the Biada's house!" She is younger than me so we don't remember each other but she said, "My family were ducks in the road show." I was in that same road show, only I was a cabbage patch kid. (ducks, cabbage patch kids-- don't you miss those road shows?) Ok, that is just CRAZY! She says that her family has video footage of the road show and so now she is trying to get her hands on it. I would love to see it. Talk about a blast from the past! I was only 8 years old when we moved back west but I remember a lot of the families from that ward. Mostly just their last names, but still. It is definitely a small world.
It all reminded me of a time when my sister Heather was running track at Weber State and brought her roommate home with her one weekend. I wasn't there at the time so she grabbed a picture of me running at some cross country meet in Cedar City and said, "This is my sister, Hilary" Her roommate, Angie, looked at the picture and said, "Hey, that's me!" In the picture I was passing another runner and SHE was the other runner in the picture. How weird would it be to go to someone's home and find yourself in one of their pictures!?!
Or how about the time I got in touch with a friend I hadn't seen in 8 1/2 years and when we got together with our kids we discovered that our first born children were only 2 weeks apart, our 2nd born children were born on the exact same day and our 3rd born children were also born on the EXACT SAME DAY! If we had had them in the same hospital we would have run into each other--twice! What are the chances of that?
Ok, I'm stopping. This could go on all day. . .but it won't. :-) My kids are just about ready to get home from school.
8 comments:
You are such a great blogger! My sister Aimee always used to say, "It's a small Mormon world." You learn that over and over don't you. I just wish I could tell her this story. She would have LOVED it, and I'm certain she would have remembered you. Geez, if only you would have moved in a year earlier!
I'm so glad I'm your visiting teacher and I'm sure we're going to be great friends. I mean we have to with all we have in common don't we?
It makes me wonder if there is something in the water in Morristown NJ that makes for horrible pregnancies later in life.
I can't believe that about your friend having two kids on the exact same day as you -that's so crazy.
P.S. Visiting teaching is definitely inspired.
It is always amazing to me when things like this happen, that paths can cross more than once. I mean how many millions of people are there in the world? That is a cool thing.
I am sure that the video will be a great reminder of your days as a cabbage patch kid!
I had forgotten all about the runner picture...was that Angie H.?
Here is random for you. One of our good friends in Shanghai went to high school with Jen! I also once ran into a guy in Shanghai that was from Boston and knew of both Jon K and McKay. crazy.
What a small world! How fun to cross paths in such random ways?
When we moved to where we live now the new bishop came to visit us and found out that I was from B. He said he knew someone from B once as a companion in the mission field, but I probably didn't know him. It was your dad that he knew from B. Very small world in the church!
Post a Comment