Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Roller Derby



Ok, so it wasn't exactly a derby, but at times it felt like one. The elementary school sent a flyer around saying it was family night at the local roller rink and you could get free admission to the place. The kids wanted to go and we figured they were old enough to learn how to roller skate and decided to give it a try. My Mom wanted to come and see the kids and sit with Korinne while we tried to help the other kids learn to skate, but before she arrived it was truly a chaotic scene. Britton and Jenna couldn't even stand up and were falling all over the place, Korinne wanted her own skates, Adam was trying to hold the kids up while trying to remember how to skate himself, and I kept thinking the idea had sounded a lot better on paper. It was painful to watch Adam inch his way around the rink with a child hanging on him and falling every few steps (the kids, not Adam--I think he fell only once). Finally my Mom arrived and saved the day. That allowed both of us to help the kids which made it a lot easier for everyone.



It also allowed Adam and me to go around a few times by ourselves. I seriously felt like I was in Junior High again, especially since my Mother was there taking my picture every time I went around. (Yeah, I'm pretty sure I was the only one over the age of 10 whose mother was taking pictures of them) Sometimes its fun to be a kid again.


As we were leaving Jenna kept asking when we could go back again. We tried to answer vaguely, but she was determined to pin us down to a specific date. "Can we go next Monday?" Uhhh, we might have to wait a little longer. . ."Can we go 2 weeks from today?" Ummm, we'll have to see about that. "How about this week?" Well, I'm not sure. Let's just say she didn't love our avoidance tactics. It was a lot of fun and I'm glad we went, but I don't think professional roller skating is in our future. Korinne's favorite part was the icee, of course. She is definitely her Mother's daughter.

2 comments:

Jeff & Liberty said...

They still have rollerskating rinks? I love that mom was there snapping photos and I love seeing all of you with rollerskates on your feet!

Ker-Dog and the gang said...

So fun!! Oh the good 'ol days in Junior High. I always loved going to the rollerskating rink and rocking out to Bon Jovi!