Sunday, March 2, 2008

In the Dark

Last night as we were eating dinner the lights went out. It happened at dusk and it was snowy and windy but with the little bit of light still coming in we were able to continue eating our dinner in the dark. For the kids it was a novelty. Korinne didn't understand why we weren't turning the lights back on so she took it upon herself to move her own chair to where each of the light switches were to turn them on herself. She was perplexed when nothing happened. By the time dinner was done it was pretty dark outside so we got out our candles (which inspired the singing of several renditions of 'happy birthday') and gave each of the kids a flashlight of their own. They had so much fun in the 45 minutes that followed they were actually upset when the lights came back on. So, I guess that sometimes being in the dark isn't so bad after all. (Wow, that could be like a deep life lesson or something. You can thank me later for any great epiphanies you may receive while reading our blog :-) )


I just about cried when I walked out of my front door earlier this week and saw this:


This, my friends, is a definite sign of spring!! My tulips are starting to come up! I don't even mind that it snowed yesterday because at least we can all see the light at the end of the tunnel--or in this case the tulip.

Quote of the week: Jenna, "I am sooo boring!!" Umm, she is a little confused right now about the exact meaning of the word boring. I think she thinks it is another way to say she is mad or upset. She only refers to being "boring" when she is mad.

On Thursday afternoon when I told Korinne that Jessica, the babysitter, was coming over to stay with them so Dad and I could go to the temple she got so excited and exclaimed, "Pizza!" I had to laugh, apparently she associates pizza with us going to the temple because more often than not we are in a hurry and end up getting something fast and simple for dinner. Boy was she disappointed when I told her we had made other dinner plans.

Last night at dinner Britton was laughing about something that Korinne did and said, "This is definitely going in the blog!" Apparently we have a new way of speaking around our house. It isn't the first time Britton has declared something to be blog worthy. They love our family journal and I'm sure that some day they will be glad we have tried to record all of the little things that make up our lives.

No comments: