
Korinne tried to make quite the fashion statement on Sunday. She was all dressed in a cute dress with red tights and then right before we left for church she walked in with one black boot with fur along the top, and one pink moon boot on the other foot. Neither matched the outfit she was wearing, but I decided I could at least live with the black boots. One of each was just NOT an option! It took some major negotiations, but we did finally arrive at the church with our black booted daughter in tow. She definitely keeps things interesting.
I received a phone call from Britton's school teacher on Monday morning. Its always a little nerve racking to get a phone call from the school, but she called to tell me that she had arranged for Britton to attend the 1st grade reading group every day since he was so far ahead of all of the other Kindergartners and was reading on a high first grade level. Oh, I said, that's great! So, every morning at 10:30 a.m. Britton walks down to a first grade class room for reading group and then returns to Kindergarten when they are done. When I asked him how he felt about that he smiled and said, "Excited!" He took to reading like a fish to water. Its nice to have him reading the bedtime stories to the girls now. Jenna is so excited to start reading that she often asks me to go through some sight word flash cards with her and likes to read the beginning readers from the Library. She and Britton are so competitive with each other--which I guess is good when it comes to being competitive about reading. It isn't so good when I have to listen to them fight over who gets to get the newspaper from the driveway in the morning. I mean really, do we have to fight about it EVERY morning? (Especially since neither really wants to get the paper anyway, they only want to get it after the other has specifically made the "I'm going to go and get the paper" declaration.) Its kind of silly to have to make out a 'newspaper fetching' schedule, but that is exactly what we have had to do to keep the peace.
I received a phone call from Britton's school teacher on Monday morning. Its always a little nerve racking to get a phone call from the school, but she called to tell me that she had arranged for Britton to attend the 1st grade reading group every day since he was so far ahead of all of the other Kindergartners and was reading on a high first grade level. Oh, I said, that's great! So, every morning at 10:30 a.m. Britton walks down to a first grade class room for reading group and then returns to Kindergarten when they are done. When I asked him how he felt about that he smiled and said, "Excited!" He took to reading like a fish to water. Its nice to have him reading the bedtime stories to the girls now. Jenna is so excited to start reading that she often asks me to go through some sight word flash cards with her and likes to read the beginning readers from the Library. She and Britton are so competitive with each other--which I guess is good when it comes to being competitive about reading. It isn't so good when I have to listen to them fight over who gets to get the newspaper from the driveway in the morning. I mean really, do we have to fight about it EVERY morning? (Especially since neither really wants to get the paper anyway, they only want to get it after the other has specifically made the "I'm going to go and get the paper" declaration.) Its kind of silly to have to make out a 'newspaper fetching' schedule, but that is exactly what we have had to do to keep the peace.
5 comments:
According to the 11th edition of Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary it is faux pas (both singular and plural . . . you just don't pronounce the "s" in the case of singular.) I was teaching Ben how to use a dictionary this morning, so it was sitting right here.
We have had similar "diaper fetching" battles and it got so bad with who got to say the dinner prayer that we had to create a rotating schedule. Kids are funny.
oops- look like someone beat me to the correct spelling of faux pas. Darn- I thought 4 years of high school french might finally come in handy for something... It is not all that often I need to ask where the restroom is in french, and unfortunately, that is about all I remember!
Thanks for helping me fix a real spelling faux pas-- it's nice to know you've got my back!
Congats to Britton. He is now line to succeed Adam as the king of finding typos.
That is great that Britton's teacher will bump him up to the level he needs to be at.
I like to hear about other siblings fighting because I just can't stand it when my kids do.
Post a Comment