Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Pumpkin Carving

We're not normal, we carve pumpkins in December. We had two pumpkins from Halloween that we never got around to carving. They have been on our porch for the better part of 2 months looking every bit as plain as the day we put them there. Last night I was looking at our Christmas wreath on the front door and noticed that it kind of clashed with the pumpkins. I turned to Adam, "So, do you happen to have a pumpkin plan? They aren't quite in keeping with our new Christmas theme." As we pondered what to do with 2 very large pumpkins Britton decided that we should cook the seeds (something he learned from school, no doubt). It wasn't exactly on my to do list for the evening so I was secretly hoping he would forget about his idea. I went upstairs for a few minutes and came back to this:


Why is it that Korinne feels the need to be on the counter for every project? While Britton was busy getting all of the pumpkin seeds out Korinne and Dad were coloring the other pumpkin.

Once we had a big bowl of gooey pumpkin seeds Adam and I kind of looked at each other and said, "So, what do we do now?" I vaguely remember trying cooked pumpkin seeds in the 4th grade, but even then I wasn't around for the actual preparation. We did what every parent would do in our situation, we put in a call to Gramma and decided to wait for further instructions. (Of course, now that I think about it every parent in our situation would most likely just look it up on the Internet) After school today we listened to Christmas music while boiling the seeds for 5 minutes and baking them at 275 degrees until done. (Thanks Gramma)

We live in a cul-de-sac now. There are 4 of us in the circle and 3 of the houses are totally decked out in Christmas lights. I bet you can guess who the "bah humbug" house belongs to--yup, that would be us. When the first neighbor put up their lights we thought, "Oh, that's nice." When the second neighbor put up their lights we thought, "Um, I hope the Benson's don't put up lights or we're in trouble." When the Benson's put up their lights we realized we were officially THOSE neighbors--the ones who don't have a Christmas clue. I tried to compensate by putting a candle in each of the front windows. At least they know we tried. I bet they are just happy that our 2 large pumpkins finally disappeared!

8 comments:

Heather said...

Don't feel bad. It must be a genetic thing?! We're the 'bah-humbug' house around here as well...our kids keep asking when we'll put up lights but it never seems to make it to the top of our priority list!

Tay and Jen said...

That would be me. The 'bah-humbug'. I just really don't see the need to decorate for any holiday since you just have to take them down in a month. I wish I was more creative and had a clue about how to decorate, but I don't. We actually do have a Christmas tree now since our friends gave us their unwanted, wiry tree when they found a better one. I didn't even want it because then I'd have to decorate it, but TP really did. Now we have an ugly, wiry tree, that will sit, undecorated, until I can get rid of it in January.

Tay and Jen said...

We have a great tree. It wasn't easy to get a taxi driver to let us put a big heavy potted tree in the trunk and let it hang out into Shanghai traffic. I had to watch out for cops while he drove, quickly. We only hit one person on a bicyle and a few cars but no police. The tree doesn't need decorations nor does it need to be thrown away. it's a nice potted live tree that can bring joy year round!

Jeff & Liberty said...

How is it that we belong to the same family? We've been dying to put the lights up outside. I've been envisioning my New England columns wrapped in lights since we moved here! Our dreams of a festive house were dashed when we realized we don't have any outlets outside. We're totally bummed and have a HUGE box of unused lights!

larah said...

Dustin is the one around our house who likes to bake the pumpkin seeds and eat them. I'll eat a few but I usually throw a bunch away too.
I finally put a few lights outside but they're the kind that are the net lights that you just throw over a bush. Easy to set up and easy to clean up. I'm all about that!

EBD said...

You always make me laugh! I love that you carved pumpkins. And, I love that you put candles in the windows - I think that is so pretty. I really need to come up and see your new place :)

Jackie said...

I was just looking at your kids and I remembered that when we came to visit on our way to Fort Benning that Jenna was just a newborn baby. It doesn't seem that long ago. They are getting so old......which means.......I am getting SO old.........nooooooo.
(I threw out undecorated pumpkins too. Well ok I WILL throw them out....sometime....I hope... They are still sitting on my front porch clashing with my Christmas decorations)

Tiffany Salter said...

Thank you Libbie! I was wondering where my genetic mutation came from, because I LOVE holidays! I am glad I am glad that at least there are 2 of us in this family of humbugs!