
We love the sunshine. The kids played outside all day long on Saturday when it was in the high 50's and had a great time. It wasn't until I called them in to take baths that evening that I realized I had broken one of the ten Mommy commandments; "Thou shalt never forget to slather thy child with sunscreen on sunny days." It was a disaster. Korinne was so red she looked like a strawberry. I should have taken a picture but I didn't really want evidence of my gross neglect. Fortunately it wasn't a painful sunburn because she never said anything about it. Jenna is already bronzed. She is the only one in our family who has olive skin and can tan like it is nobody's business. The rest of us settle for looking like cherry tomatoes when the occasion permits.
My parents called on Saturday morning and said they wanted to come up for a visit. Great! Then they proceeded to tell us they needed to rent a trailer and load it up before they could leave. This is code for "we are so happy you have an unfinished basement and are willing to accommodate our storage needs." We never know what to expect on these trailer expeditions, and sometimes we don't even know about them until we are unloading. The last few loads have been stuff for my brother Taylor who is living in China and some carpet to put on our cement floors in the basement.
My parents stayed the night and even let Adam and me go out on a date while they stayed with the kids. We played a mean game of miniature golf (I won by 1 point) and went and got shakes afterwards. At the Ice Cream Parlor Adam couldn't stop yawning which made me yawn. I looked at my watch and it said 10:10 p.m. Yup, we are getting old. We just can't stay out late like we used to. We had to laugh at ourselves. And I must say that high school and college kids are looking mighty young these days.
Britton played his first soccer game on Saturday. He is now old enough that they have a goalie and start playing positions. He enjoyed being goalie for part of the game and had quite a few saves.
Jenna has learned a fancy new word, vegetarian. She is our most picky eater and doesn't really like much of anything, including meat in all its forms. Now when she asks what is for dinner she will include the question, "Is there meat in it?" If I reply that there is meat in it she simply says, "I'm a vegetarian" which, of course, means absolutely nothing to me. Most everything I cook is outside of her strict and self imposed diet so every night is filled with puppy dog whimpering and sometimes worse. Every year I think she is going to snap out of it, and every year it seems to continue. Britton tries to overcompensate and will spend the entire meal saying things like, "Mom, this is the best meal EVER, I mean I just LOVE it. I think this recipe is definitely a keeper, Mom!" (All direct quotes) It's really pretty sweet the way he carries on so. Korinne is a pretty good eater, albeit a messy one. Mostly we are happy if she is off the table and is wearing clothes. (I know, our standards are low) She still likes to sit by Adam during meals and is always at the center of all table conversation.
Ok, I'm REALLY hoping that spring is finally here to stay. The weather has been perfect!
6 comments:
So glad I was able to come back to Texas and avoid all the rest of that fun loading, hauling, and unloading!
Great stories! We had an almost identical conversation at our table last night between Emily (our finicky eater) and Ben . . . "You should just try it and you will LOVE it!"
I love this weather. We spent the whole day yesterday working and playing in the yard. It was fabulous!
Can't wait for spring to decide to stick around. I am getting SO ready for summer!
My boys need to take some lessons from Britton with the "mommy sweet talk". You'll be in trouble when he's of dating age!
You crack me up! My marathon is this Sunday!! So, as of Monday morning we are training for the same race - pretty exciting! And the spring weather - LOVE IT - my car told me it was 80 today :)
Ha! Jenna the vegetarian. That's hilarious. Just the word she needs to be the reason she doesn't eat. Thanks for storing all our stuff. We'll pack it out in a few months time...
JP
Post a Comment