Sunday, February 22, 2009

The "happiest place on earth"


After being drowned out of Sea World, we moved onto step 2 in our "surprise" vacation, DISNEYLAND. We spent 3 days and had a great time. It was a bit rainy the first morning there, but the rest of the time was gorgeous. On Thursday we had to apply sunscreen 3 times during the day--awesome! My favorite moment was when I found out it had snowed at home while putting sunscreen on, ahhhh.

On Day 1 we were just getting warmed up. Britton and Jenna stayed on all of the small rides and I think we lost of lot of time wandering around and exploring. Day 2 was all business and was by far the most productive day. We learned how to "work the system" and although it was twice as busy we got twice as much done. Between fast passes and kid switches we didn't have to wait in any long lines. Jenna discovered roller coasters first and once she started she couldn't get enough. Britton was more reluctant but couldn't be outdone by his little sister (especially when she refused to let him forget about it) so he went on Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain multiple times and loved it. Korinne thought any ride that went inside was "scary" (I have to admit there is an evil person in every Disney story that has a scary laugh and she wasn't having any of it). She would just hang out while we switched and swapped and waiting for each other to go on rides and then we would take her to the carousel and she was happy as a clam.


When it came to cars Korinne insisted on being in the driver's seat at all times.


Jenna was really the only one that cared about meeting and getting pictures with Disney characters.


They all loved the shows and "It's a Small World." I guess the new Small World ride just opened up this month so we were lucky we got to see it.

By the end of our 3 days we were exhausted but in a good way, of course. The kids were so tired they were laying their heads on the hand rails while we waited for the Peter Pan ride. Here they are outside the hotel room on our last night.

It was fun, fun, fun and I'm so glad we did it, but unfortunately vacations can't last forever (even surprise ones) so on Friday morning we packed up and went out to the car which was in the same place we left it Monday night. Everything was fine until we went to unlock it and nothing happened. The battery was dead, dead, dead. It threw us off schedule, but we were finally able to find someone to lend a hand and were on our way.
We pulled in last night and before our bags were unpacked Adam started not feeling well and developed a fever. I told him "good job" for getting sick AFTER our vacation and not during it. In fact his timing was perfect because today he can rest and sleep all day if he wants. Ok, that makes it sound like I'm not very sympathetic. I first got him what he needed, sent him to bed and THEN told him his timing couldn't be better. (Does that work?)
It's good to be back, even if it is cold and snowy. In reality the "happiest place on earth" is at home with your family and that's the truth.

7 comments:

Malinda said...

How fun! We are planning on watching our "plan your trip to Disneyland DVD" tonight after the kids are in bed (we still have 5 months to keep it a secret). I'm sure as we get closer to going I will be picking your brain for details. We are only planning on doing one day, so we'll have to be efficient from the start. I'm glad you had fun and that you got home safely.

Rob said...

I'm glad you guys had fun and I am glad you guys are happy. Caleb misses Jenna terribly, hope all is going well with everyone. Take care! -Diedre Gray

Tay and Jen said...

Disneyland is so fun! I love California and warm weather!

Ker-Dog and the gang said...

Glad you made it home safely! Sounds like a blast!

larah said...

Looks like you guys had a wonderful time! Where are you planning your next surprise vacation? Maybe I'll come along...ha, ha.

Beverly said...

Surprise vacations are the best. So happy for you that the illness didn't happen during the trip--there is nothing worse.

Andrea Griggs said...

Looks like a wonderful vacation.