Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Breakdance Kid


Britton likes to breakdance. He is so proud of his breakdancing "skills" he will gladly tell you how he developed them--by watching a few episodes of the show "Super Stars of Dance." He is a 7 year old white kid but when he "breakdances" he looks JUST LIKE a . . . 7 year old white kid from the burbs. He jumps to the floor and spins around on his back or arms and has all of his limbs flailing and then he jumps back up and starts to strut away while he pauses so we can say things like, "Wow, Britton, you are a great breakdancer." He already knows he is great, of course, because he watched all 4 episodes of the show. If that doesn't qualify you for greatness, I don't know what does!
On Sunday one of Adam's friends from his mission invited our family over to watch the Superbowl. We hadn't seen this family in several years so for the kids and me it was just like meeting them for the first time. Britton hadn't been there for more than 5 minutes when he spontaneously started his breakdancing routine on the floor right in front of the big screen TV. Without a word he ended his performance and then continued to watch the game. This process was repeated about 10 more times during the game until I finally said with a slight smile, "Um, as you can see my kids are really shy" which was followed up with some smiles and a chuckle or two. I'm just happy they could tell he was "breakdancing" and not having a seizure. We look forward to watching him develop his talent, however, because it's obvious his heart is really in it.

5 comments:

larah said...

I love that he is confident enough to share his talent with people he doesn't even really know! That's great. Any future "dancing" classes in his future?

Jeff & Liberty said...

We need to get Benson and Britton together. They sound like two peas in a pod. Have your kids every seen Hip Hop Harry on Discovery Kids? That's where Benson get's his breakdance skills.

Jenn S said...

Hilary your posts are hilarious! I really love your blog. It keeps me laughin' all the time. Your kids are adorable! Post a video of the breakdancing!

Heather said...

I'm chuckling! He'll have to show his stuff to Jantzen...now that would be entertaining.

Tricia said...

I think he gets it from his Uncle McKay.