Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Rite of Passage

Isn't it a requirement that you MUST make lots of forts out of blankets and pillows and kitchen stools during your childhood? The kids were so proud of their creation that it took me awhile to get my family room back. Funny, they are super excited to make the mess. . .but not so excited to clean it up (also a childhood rite of passage, of course).

Jenna has a pinker and purplier and sparklier room thanks to some wall decals that peel off and won't damage the wall in any way. Here today, gone tomorrow (or when she turns 12 and wouldn't be caught dead with this stuff on her walls--whichever). I'm design challenged and I never know what to do with big empty walls. Needless to say, Jenna loves it and so does Korinne whose room is also benefiting from a new look. When we unveiled Korinne's room to her she got so excited she jumped up on her bed and starting dancing and saying, "Oh yea, Oh yea". It was pretty funny. Sorry, no video. Really, I should be like some of my friends who have their camera on them at all times. I guess my kids will have to settle for only having pictures every 4th time something great happens and call it good. My motto is "something is better than nothing" and I'm sticking to it!
I'm thinking of giving myself a gold star tonight--my kids have their valentines ready to go a day early! I think that is a record with us. Jenna was almost my Valentine baby. I say almost, but I don't really mean almost. She was due on February 16th so for normal people there would be a chance she would come 2 days early, right? But I'm not normal, of course, and she arrived on February 24th. Yes, that would be 8 days later and I still had to be induced! I don't think you can find a mother in this state who actually went over her due date by more than a day or two, but where we were living in the South they wouldn't even give me the option of being induced until I was at least a week over. Ok, I digress. Back to my gold star. We are so ready for Valentines Day--bring it on!
Sometimes I start a post and it turns into something else entirely. One minute I'm building forts and the next I'm talking about gold stars and labor stories. . . where does this stuff come from?

5 comments:

Malinda said...

I know I am the camera toting friend you are talking about. :)

We love vinyl decals at this house. It lets the kids have a "cool" room for 10 bucks and 10 minutes worth of work.

The Ostheds said...

Jenna is in good company with her birthday on the 24th! ;)

larah said...

How funny that you would have a picture of your "forts"! As we speak I have two "club houses" set up in my basement! No need for sharing when you can make two!

Erica said...

Great post, but really it would have been better if it was about the Indigo Girls ;). I need to come visit you are you around next week?

Kim said...

I feel your pain with having Jenna late. Ashlee was 10 days late and that was the earliest they would induce me. We joke that she was over-cooked because her skin was all shrively when she was born.