Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Throwing Caution to the Wind

Yesterday morning I received a phone call from my friend Cyd at 8:00 a.m. This is how the conversation unfolded:

Me, "Hello?"
Cyd, "Hey Hill-billy (Cyd is the ONLY person who can call me that and have it actually be a term of endearment), what do you say we throw caution to the wind and go to Logan today and surprise the crew?"

Our college roommates (a.k.a. 'the crew') were getting together in Logan at 11 a.m. Immediately I started to think about my "Mom commitments" for the day--Britton had morning kindergarten, Jenna had preschool and dance later in the day, I was supposed to go to my Mom's house to work on a few things for her, etc. Then I started to think about how I could realistically work it out. After talking to Cyd for a minute or two she said, "Ok, Hil, you've got 30 min. to decide. Call me back" When I went to talk to Adam he laughed at me and said that if I took Korinne with me he could work from home and be home when Jenna and Britton got home. He ended with, "Yes, you can go and play with your friends today." When I called Cyd back we were downright giddy. It had been a long time since we had done something so spontaneous we could hardly contain ourselves. By 9:30 a.m. we were on the road to Logan. It was fun to surprise our friends and we had a great time. Here is the Crew minus Korinne who was too busy playing to pose for a picture.


It's been a long time since we've had a get-together with so few children. All of the older kids were in school. 5 moms and 6 kids--that's amazing when you consider how many crewbies there really are!

This is Korinne and me waiting to be seated at the Firehouse Pizzeria. (Thanks for the Pic, Malin) She was so good the entire day and really enjoyed the adventure.

I've decided that throwing "caution to the wind" if done in a responsible way, of course, is what every stay-at-home Mom needs every so often. Thanks, Squidnee Bean.

4 comments:

Cydnee said...

About the cheese chunks...j/k...I think I'm commenting in the right place, right? Hey, the pleasure was all mine. What a F-U-N fun day. Being a "spontaneous mom" is sort of an oxymoron, wouldn't you say? That little last minute trip required quite a few phone calls/ride arrangements, etc...well worth it though!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.

Malinda said...

It is tricky to be spontaneous when you have three kids, but I’m glad you did it anyway. It was a
fun surprise to have you guys show up.

P.S. You have quality music on your blog. I let it play while I was grading papers for Ben’s
teacher and loved it.

Jeff & Liberty said...

Fun trip to Logan!

Thanks for your YW ideas. We ended up making a 12 x 12 book for her. Each girl and leader was responsible for making a page. Thanks again!