
President Godoy, or should I say Elder Carlos A. Godoy, was an incredible Mission President and I remember when I left the mission saying something like, "Someday he is going to be a General Authority, that is for sure!" 9 years later it has come to pass. Here I am with President and Sister Godoy on my last night in the mission.
I served in the Brazil Belem Mission, right in the heart of the Amazon jungle. This was my first area--Abeatetuba (it took me 3 days to learn how to say the name of the city right).The Amazon river ran through our mission and I had to travel on it to go to Mission conferences or for transfers.
I loved my mission and had so many great and unique experiences. It was a great time in my life when I could literally forget myself and go to work. President Godoy taught me so much and I look forward to hearing from him in the years to come. He was only 36 when he was called to be a Mission President making him only 10 years older than my trainer in the mission. That's kind of funny when you think about it.
Here are a few highlights from serving as a missionary for the LDS church on the equator in the Amazon jungle: being transferred to new areas by boat, bus, and plane; being pleasantly surprised to find running water in our house, hearing the sound of a telephone in someone's house after 9 months and not knowing what it was (because really, who has a telephone IN THEIR HOUSE?), experiencing 115 Degree heat with 100% humidity and walking around in it all day long, realizing a good bucket is your friend--how else are you going to shower or wash your clothes? It wasn't a mission for the faint of heart, and I loved every minute of it!
You know, at one point in my life I was super brave. While in Brazil I wasn't bothered by the REALLY REALLY big spiders or the "life size" rats, or the ants in my bed or the geckos and cockroaches that had free reign of the house. I thought it would last but the bravery left me once I returned to US soil. These days I won't even catch a teeny tiny harmless spider with a tissue--that is definitely a job for Adam!
Ahh, good times. Here are a few pics:
You thought I was kidding about the little critters, but I wasn't! Here is a picture of a gecko eating a cockroach on our wall
I know, I know, TMI! Adam served in Bogota, Colombia so the 2 of us have a lot to talk about when it comes to missions. We start to lose each other when he talks about missionaries hitting the deck to avoid gun fire and I talk about taking all night boat rights to get to mission conference. We both loved the work, however, and it really was a privilege to serve.
5 comments:
First David Archuleta, now Elder Godoy . . . I'm feeling famous just to know you! :)
The cockroach/gecko picture made me shutter. I don't think I could have lasted 2 days in the jungles of Brazil! I'm already training my kids up on how to kill spiders so they can take care of it when Nate isn't here.
cool to learn a little bit about your mission and to see pictures. We had geckos and cockroaches in our apartment in saipan but I must say I never saw a gecko eat a cockroach (although Isaac almost did once).
Thanks for sharing!
Que saudades desse tempo que não volta... mas que me ensinou tanto...
Claro, nós sempre soubemos que Presidente Godoy seria chamado uma atoridade geral... Perguntas???
Eu amo essa foto que estamos juntas...
Que saudades amiga, que saudades !!!
Jeff didn't recognize you with a tan!
Yeah, it will never happen again. Its a good thing I have pictures to prove it!
Post a Comment