Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Redneck Birthday

Britton is now 9 years old.


He was so excited for his birthday he had a hard time sleeping the night before and was up at 6:30 a.m. on his big day. We made him wait until about 2 p.m. before he could open his present.  It was almost more than he could bear-- waiting is not his thing.  He went into full "woodpecker" mode meaning that he started asking about his present every 12.8 seconds until no one could stand it any longer. 

The girls went to a mini-dance camp for a few hours at the local high school so we took advantage of the time and took Britton to the Golden Corral for lunch as per his request. I don't know that it is my favorite, but Britton thinks it is the best thing EVER and was in heaven.   Unfortunately turning 9 puts him in a more expensive price bracket but the lady decided to give us the cheaper price because he didn't officially turn 9 until 5:33 p.m. local time.  Phew.

The crowing event for the day was the Redneck Waterslide which was a ward party and fell on Britton's birthday.   There is a family in the valley that set up a "redneck waterslide" on their property for their own personal family reunion and it was such a hit they kept it and now allow other groups to use it for a small fee.  It isn't widely known, but to those who do know about it it is a lot of fun.  It is located off of a dirt road and is surrounded by corn fields.

Here is the beginning of the waterslide on top of a hill.


Here is the end of the waterslide which gives you plenty of room to stop before hitting the cornfield.


You need that much room to stop because you get going really fast.  Here is Adam and Jenna riding down it together.


They had a smaller one off to the side that went down a less steep hill and wasn't as long for the smaller kids.

Everyone was wet and muddy and having a great time.  Throw in some food and a outdoor family movie at dusk and you have the makings of a great party.  The kids loved every minute of it and it made for a fun birthday for Britton.  A party that I didn't have to plan--perfect!



 
I'm not exactly sure what pose Korinne was striking in this picture.

This is the last year I will have all my kids in the single digits!

7 comments:

Jeff & Liberty said...

Happy birthday Britton! Are you sore today? We did some redneck water-sliding in Vermont and I was so sore the next day. I guess I had a little too much fun. Love the last picture.

Jeff & Liberty said...

ps-Cute new pics of the kiddos.

Tricia said...

Happy Birthday Britton!

Love your new family pictures!!!

Heather said...

Happy Belated to Britton! Looks like it was a super day!

larah said...

Happy Birthday Britton!

Love your new pictures of the kids! So cute!

Kristen said...

Britton. I'm glad you had such a fun birthday. We love you! The new family pictures are cute. Do we get one?

Tricia said...

I love the 12.8 seconds thing and also Korinne's pose.