Sunday, August 15, 2010

Small World

My neighbor's Grandpa died a few weeks ago.  She went to the funeral with her husband and 4 children and talked to some close family friends after the funeral.  One of them asked her where she was currently living. When she told him the general area he said, "Oh, my niece lives there.  Do you know. . . (which had her saying to herself "like I'm really going to know this person" but then he finished with) . . .Hilary [insert my last name here]??"  To her wonder and amazement she did know me and we lived only a few houses away from each other. What I didn't know was that my grandparents and an uncle were the close family friends who were at the funeral and who have been closely associated with the family for over 50 years.  In fact, my Mom and my neighbor Emily's Mom were best friends growing up. And I'm not talking about casual acquaintances, I'm talking 'her Mom was a bridesmaid at my Mom's wedding' kind of friends.  They lost track of each other over the years after moving around the country and raising their families and now each of them had a daughter that moved into the same neighborhood and lived only a few doors down from each other.  It's a small world, indeed.

Last weekend Emily's Mom, Janet, was visiting and after a church meeting Emily's husband Scott found me and said, "Um, Emily's mom is here and she wants to meet you." I went back to where she was and when she saw me her mouth dropped, "You are a carbon copy of Kristen! I can't believe how much you look like her!"   It is true, of all of my siblings I am the one that most resembles my Mom.  In fact when I was in high school and was working at a grocery store in the Salt Lake area I had gone into the break room for employees and another employee came back and said, "Hilary, there is a lady out there who wants me to ask you where your parents are from." What?!  I responded with "Um, a small town in Idaho called Blackfoot" From behind the door I heard a lady say, "I knew it! I knew it! I saw her and I knew she HAD to be Kristen and Steve's daughter (whom she had gone to high school with 25 years earlier).  I kid you not. First of all, who does that? Secondly, she wasn't even remotely close to the location where she knew my parents so for her to pick that up after 25 years is a little weird. Moral of the story--I look just like Kristen's daughter. 

I digress.

After talking with Janet for awhile she asked me to ask my parents if they could come up to their family reunion that was to be held locally the following Saturday to reconnect with her and her husband and her brother and sister-in-law who are also my parents really good friends from back in the day.


I delivered and they had a great reunion.

While my parents were in town we went to check out our county fair.

This was the only picture I took of the whole fair.  Oops.  We had scones and corn on the cob and frozen lemonade and saw what we could see. 

It was a good day.

3 comments:

Malinda said...

That's a funny story . . . very Kaylynn-like. :) Call me crazy, but I've always thought that Heather was the one that looked most like your mom. Maybe it was just the short hair tricking me.

larah said...

It is amazing how life works itself out. It makes me wonder who I will run into in the future. Crazy!

Love the story about your grocery store experience!

Tay and Jen said...

looks like the furniture dieses hit the price side more than the long lost friends.