Thursday, August 5, 2010

NOT a Gardener

In my comings and goings around the neighborhood I've been admiring everyone's gardens.  Case in point, here is my friend Desi's awesome garden. I drive past it all of the time.

For the first time since 2001 we attempted to grow our own garden.  With great hopes we planted green beans, snow peas, tomatoes, peppers, squash, carrots, zucchini, and cilantro. Yes, cilantro (love it--can't get enough of it).  A good chunk of the summer is behind us and there is nothing quite like walking out and seeing this beautiful sight:


My Dad saw our garden on Friday and was laughing so hard the tears were starting to fall.  He was literally speechless. Our "garden" (I had to put it in quotation marks because I'm not sure it even qualifies as a garden) is um. . .it's um. . . .well, let's just say it's lacking.  But it hasn't been a complete failure because we have grown enough green beans for at least half of us to eat them for dinner.


We haven't decided how to distribute the loot yet, but I'm sure we'll think of something by dinnertime.  The other day we were able to eat a few snow peas so that was pretty fun. There is one pepper on our pathetic little pepper plant.  It is officially the smallest pepper I have ever seen.  My thumb covers half of it.


Here is a picture of our one tomato. 


I have big plans for our tomato.  When you only have one it's easy to come up with ideas.

Ok, so our garden is pretty pathetic.  Do we still get points for trying??  This is where I have to start making a list of things that  I CAN do so I will feel better about my lack of gardening skills.

Go ahead, laugh. It will make you feel better. 

Happy Gardening!

6 comments:

Tiffany Salter said...

If it makes you feel any better, I have never even tried to do a garden. Let's just say I don't have mad gardening skillz either.

larah said...

Well, at least you have something to show for all your efforts! Can't wait to hear what you decide to do with your tomato!

Jennifer said...

Wow, you ARE a blogger! Yaaay, this is exciting. And that garden, amazing. Will you share your harvest? :)

Kristen said...

It's time to pick the pepper. It won't get any bigger. Just cut it up and put it in your favorite salad. I'm awfully glad that you took a picture and shared it with us though. Next year's will be better. You just need some good soil.

Jeff & Liberty said...

There's nothing like a $100. tomatoe!

Jeff & Liberty said...

...Ah, tomato