Thursday, August 19, 2010

New Territory

In the last 10 years we have been to Lagoon exactly three times.  One of those times we didn't actually pay to get a ride pass we just watched a show and went on the carousel and tilt-a-whirl because they were free. (That was the day we were the poster children for cheap Mormons everywhere)  Our kids have grown up a lot and Britton and Jenna not only qualify for the big rides, they actually want to ride them.  This is all new territory for us, but it is territory that I like. Yesterday we went to Lagoon with 2 partners in crime--my parents.  The kids loved having them along and were in heaven when Grandma and Grandpa got them an ice cream treat.


My parents took Korinne on a lot of the smaller rides while Adam and I took Britton and Jenna on some of the bigger rides.  Korinne got progressively braver by the end of the day.

"I think I'm happy to be here but I'm not sure.  I do like the color pink, though."

"Oh yeah, baby! Watch me go!"



This ride reminded me of the fact that I'm NOT a fan of heights.  I didn't let my kids see how nervous I was sitting at the top of the wheel while they loaded people on and off.  I enjoy a good roller coaster, but I think I'll retire from all Farris wheels.

Lagoon has changed a lot since I was in high school so I kept finding new rides I had never seen before. 
There were a few things, however, that I wish I hadn't seen at Lagoon, namely the MANY outfits that just shouldn't be worn by people who can't pull them off. Wow. People have a talent for making themselves appear much less attractive than they probably are. I think there is a standing contest to see who can get as many piercings and tattoos as possible.  Everyone is trying to outdo everyone else and I think they all look silly together.  There were a few hairstyles that made me think, "Wow. They did that on purpose. Why?" I'll never, never know. Most of it was entertaining, a little of it was disgusting and some of it just left me perplexed.  Korinne's expression in this picture says it all.


Last night was a late night for us and this morning was dark and rainy so the kids slept in longer than they ever have before.  Jenna is usually the one who can sleep in the longest, but she was up by 8:30 to get ready for gymnastics.  Britton slept until 10:15 and Korinne slept until 10:30!  I even checked on them a few times to make sure they were still breathing because it was so out of character for them.

So what did we do today to top the Lagoon extravaganza yesterday?? We went to the Dentist, of course! Ok, so maybe it wasn't as exciting for the kids, but I did a happy dance when I found out that none of them had any cavities. 

Ahh, it's been a great day.

School starts a week from today.  It looks like "summer's beginning to give up her fight." Name that song--anyone?

11 comments:

Jeff & Liberty said...

Oh, the people watching at amusement parks is top notch. Last time we were at Disneyland there was one large gal with skimpy shorts I could hardly believe. I motioned to my mother-in-law who surprised me by saying, "She does pack a lot in those shorts doesn't she?" If you really knew my mother-in-law you would laugh out loud about that one.

Glad you had a good time, and talked mom and dad into a day a Lagoon.

Kaylynn said...

I bet you saw some "hoochy mamas". You will forever be remembered for adding that phrase to my kids' vocabulary:)

Hilary said...

You mean it wasn't already in their vocabulary? That's shocking. Glad to know that I'll be remembered for something.

Malinda said...

I had the same thoughts about the people at Lagoon the last time we went. I kept saying to Nate, "tell me our kids won't be like this when they grow up." Scary.

BTW, my kids know hoochy mama too . . . but they still have never been to the mall. :)

Kristen said...

We enjoyed being there with your cute family. Thanks for inviting us and getting us out! Especially thanks for fixing the lunch.

Jackie said...

I just ran to the local Walmart Store (which I try to avoid, but I had some pictures to pick up there) and I saw many piercings, tattoos, and colorful hairstyles on the employees!

Heather said...

Dad said to find out what awesome deal you scored. My kids want to go to Lagoon but it would cost us $400 to get us all in...:(

larah said...

Sounds like you had a great time! We were supposed to go to Lagoon this week too but it didn't work out the way we hoped. But....I think I can wait for next year to try again. What a fun way to end your summer vacation!

sunsetandcamden said...

We totally had the same experience people watching at Lagoon. What is it with Lagoon?

And the song is "Mystery" Indigo Girls

I miss you

Hilary said...

Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner! It is "Mystery" by the Indigo Girls. One of my favorites. I knew I could count on you, Thunder.

Tricia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.