Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Periodic Table


Friday night I was on the computer checking my e-mail and Britton came in and pensively asked, "Mom, can you help me understand more about the Periodic Table of Elements?"  I, of course, did what I always do in such scenerios, I pretended to know all about it and then deferred to Adam as quickly as possible.  I asked him if it talked about the Periodic Table in one of his big science books and when he said yes we got it out and read over what it said together.  My knowledge peaked by this point so I promptly turned it over to Adam and by the end of the night Adam and Britton had colored charts printed out and hanging on his wall.  I reminded Britton that he probably wouldn't be learning about this stuff until about Jr. High to which he replied, "I know, but it's good to be prepared, right?" Yes. Yes, it is.  I get such a kick out of Britton because I know it's not normal for an 8 yr old boy to be walking around studying the kind of stuff he likes to study.  I just want him to stay like this forever--inquisitive, fascinated, and motivated to learn.  Is that too much to ask?  Probably, but I can hope, can't I?

Our garage is freezing this time of year, but that hasn't stopped Britton from turning it into a little labratory.  It is not uncommon for me to look out in the garage and see Britton playing with his friends at the science table he created. (I just ran out and took a few pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.)



Close by is the "Geology" section of the garage.



On my way to the geology box I couldn't help but notice this booklet on the water storage container:



Ha! He is still writing up football plays in his spare time, I see.  I didn't know he was still doing that.

One of his big science books was close by.



In his spare time he still loves to play sports.  Yesterday was Britton's last Basketball game of the season.  Adam was his coach and they had a great time.  


4 comments:

Malinda said...

Two microscopes in the garage lab? That's impressive.

Kristen said...

Sorry we missed that game. I was really hoping to make it up for one. He's a kid on the move that's for sure!

Tay and Jen said...

Wow! What a smart little kid!

larah said...

It's great that Britton is so into science! Yay for him!