Friday, January 8, 2010

Gimp

Korinne has a goal this year to learn Spanish.  Her Joy School group is working on goals for the next 3 weeks and it was my assignment to help Korinne come up with a goal she could accomplish in that time frame.  For 3 days I worked to pin Korinne down to a reasonable goal, but each time I emerged from one of our "goal talks" the result was the same, she wanted to learn Spanish.  To demonstrate her uncanny ability to spontaneously learn another language she provided me with a language sampling each time, "Pica, mica, four-o, five-a."  Her genius is even beyond my ability to comprehend.  I thought that if I could come up with a goal for her we would be back in business.  "Korinne, count as high as you can for Mom." I figured I would add 5 or 10 numbers to her highest counting number and wah-lah! A goal would be established.  She started to count using only a bunch of nonsense words--it was in "Spanish", of course.  She is too focused to be deterred easily.

The last couple of days I've been a gimp.



I had surgery to lengthen my IT band in my right leg on Tuesday.  I never did recover from my marathon/Ragnar injury despite physical therapy and everything else.  The reason I decided to go through with the surgery was because even after 3 months of doing all of the "right" things I could still feel my IT band all day and all night--even without any kind of running at all!  Not only is that not normal, it was a serious problem if I ever wanted to do any kind of running again- which I do.  I'm already signed up for a couple of relays this summer. Hopefully it all works out.  If not, it was a very expensive lesson to learn.  That darn running bug! Once you get it, it's hard to get rid of. (I'm sure there are a lot of people who dispute that statement, but since I like to eat chocolate for breakfast consistent exercise is pretty much a must.)  I should be done with crutches in the next couple of days so that is good.

7 comments:

Malinda said...

I don't know what an IT band is, but I hope yours heals up quickly.

Korinne is a crack up. I'll admit that I call chocolate milk "cocoa leche" (in my best Spanish accent). Nate just rolls his eyes when I tell the kids "that is how you say it in Spanish." :)

Linn said...

That Korinne is hilarious!

And hope you get better soon. Dumb running bug. Killed me once, but I'm going for it again, just for fun.

Jeff & Liberty said...

A crazy couple of weeks, first Heather has surgery on her leg and now you? I'm sort of feeling left out...but in a good way. Running = hazardous to health.

Recover soon.

Heather said...

Just for the record, my surgery had nothing to do with running...although if/when I DO want to get serious about running, I'm looking at yet another surgery...:) Maybe Lib is on to something!

larah said...

So sorry to hear that your injury never healed right. Good luck with the recovery process!

Kristen said...

Did you take crutches to church or just limp around? Your kids are impressive. It's fun to hear about their unique personalities.
Hope you are feeling better.

Cydnee said...

Wow, you've gone from burritos to chocolate for breakfast. Awesome!

Thanks for reminding me not to run marathons. I want to run one to say I ran one but I don't actually want to run one...make sense?

Here's to healing on the beach soon!