Britton came home from school today with a poster entitled, "I Have a Dream. . ." He was asked to write about his dreams for himself, for the world, and for his family. For himself he wrote, "I want to be a Chemist and make medicines for bad diseases." For the world he wrote, "for people to not litter, and that the countries would not be in wars, like Iraq." And his dream for his family? "That my Mom's leg will feel better (ahhh, how tender), and our house will be cleaner." WHAT?! Did he really just say that?! Yes, he did, and it hung in the hallway for a few days. Wow. That was harsh. With my pride all gone I nonchalantly asked him about it at the dinner table.
"So, uh, Britton, do you think our house is really messy?"
"No, not really"
"I noticed you wrote about how you wish your house could be cleaner and I was wondering if you thought it was really messy all of the time."
By now he was kind of embarrassed. He explained that he didn't think it was messy he just wished he didn't have to do so many chores around the house. He figured if it was already clean then I wouldn't ask him to clean anything at all. Once I realized that his dream was all about him NOT having to do chores, instead of lamenting the actual cleanliness of the house I felt a little better. I'm not perfect, but I do work really hard to keep the house clean and I was feeling kind of moted for a minute there. I admit that we make the kids do a lot of chores, but it really is for their own good. Believe me when I say it would be a lot easier to just do it all myself.
Sorry Britton, this is one dream that isn't going to come true. Perhaps you should just hold out for world peace.
2 comments:
I can relate. When we went to Ben's parent-teacher conferences, all of the kids had written letters to their parents to hang in the hall. All of the other kids said things like "my parents are the greatest becuase they take me on vacations" or "they play football with me." Ben's said, "my parents are the best because they teach me how to wash dishes, make dinner, and do the laundry." That's us. Slavedrivers. Too bad our house doesn't seem to reflect that. :)
Oi Amiga, que saudades de você, fiquei tanto tempo sem computador e sem internet, mas agora tudo está voltando.
Seus filhos estão tão grandes e bonitos, como eles crescem rápido não é?
É uma fase tão boa!!!!
Feliz por ve-los bem, vc machucou sua perna???
Amo você!
Post a Comment