Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Got Milk?

I grew up in a family of non-milk drinkers.  Even in a family of 8 people the one gallon of milk we had in the fridge would sometimes go bad before it was used completely.  Milk was needed for 2 things; 1) cereal and 2) as an ingredient in a recipe, that was it.  Adam, on the other hand, grew up in a family of milk lovers.  His family would drink a gallon of milk with their dinner in one night.  Before Adam and I started our family I asked only 2 things of him:

1- That he wouldn't teach our future children to LOVE milk (at that point I still had a hard time watching people drink a glass milk in front of me)
2- That he wouldn't teach our children how to dip toast in hot chocolate and then eat it.  (Eating soggy bread and then finding chunks of soggy bread in your hot chocolate is just wrong on so many levels) 

Here it is 10 years later and I now live in a family of milk lovers and have children who eat hot chocolate and toast practically every morning for breakfast.  Yeah, I lost that battle big time.  I have mellowed with time and have even become an enabler--I have made, with my own hands toast and hot chocolate for the kids knowing full well what is about to take place. 

Why am I sharing this story with you?  Well, last night my little brother Taylor was at our house.  He opened the fridge and saw this:



Having no experience with large quantities of milk in the fridge he promptly asked, "Whoa, is all of this milk for your family or is it for a neighborhood party or something?" Granted we had a few more gallons than usual because both Adam and I got milk at the store this week instead of just one of us.  But after looking at the dates we didn't worry because we will easily be able to use all of the milk before any of it goes bad.  Taylor seemed quite surprised when I said it was just for us.  No party.  While I do not participate in any of this milk drinking madness, the other 4 people in my household can easily put away 6 gallons of milk before any of it gets close to going bad.  Yup, this was one battle I definitely lost.  Fortunately I've made my peace with it and I don't even notice anymore--until one of my siblings comes for a visit, of course. 

9 comments:

Erica said...

We go through a gallon a day. And I NEVER drink it. When my boys are teenagers I think I'm going to need a separate milk fridge..... And maybe a second milk garbage can for all the cartons.

Your picture looks very familiar!

larah said...

I LOVE toast and hot chocolate. Can I still be your friend? Granted I have to eat these foods when Dustin is not anywhere around because he still has a hard time watching people drink a glass of milk.

I have one milk drinker and one not so much. Neither of us have "pushed" our preferences either...isn't funny how that all works out.

Jeff & Liberty said...

One day I will have a fridge large enough to store more than 1 gallon at a time.

People here don't need that much fridge space, when they need milk they just shuffle out to the barn.

They don't have to worry about expiration dates either. If it expires they celebrate with a nice steak dinner.

Justin and Breanne said...

Awesome post I love your thoughts so funny! We are huge milk drinkers, all of us and are always trying to think of ways to incorporate more water into all the milk. Although I love milk, soggy toast is quite wrong. My friends did it when I was younger and I would gag every time. You are a strong woman to put up with that insanity.

Malinda said...

This post made me laugh. I'm glad you have mellowed. I'm a milk lover, but I gave it up after Abby (I decided to seriously limit my liquid calorie intake.) Now I have a glass every two weeks or so and it is my favorite treat.

Malinda said...

p.s. Nate thinks you need to move the shelf up in your fridge because there is a lot of vertical space going to waste. :)

sunsetandcamden said...

I swear we are twins! There are so many little strange things that we have in common.
I'm totally with you on the uses for milk and being grossed out by the toast and hot chocolate. In college, I used to buy a half gallon of milk for cereal and I would end up throwing about half of it out because it would go bad.

Heather said...

Yeah, our fridge doesn't even look like that...I could literally hear Taylor's voice with that comment!

Kristen said...

I haven't done read any blogs for 3 weeks. The milk thing is definitely a "P" family trait. I have to make sure I have lots of milk when my brother comes to help me.