Saturday, September 19, 2009

Run a Marathon, check!

Back in college I made a list of things to do before I died, and they weren't small things either, they were things like backpack through Europe, go skydiving, and learn another language (all of things I've done, by the way). 10 years ago I watched a good friend finish the 2nd annual Top of Utah Marathon and was so inspired that I went home to my college apartment and added, "Run a Marathon" to my list. I got close to accomplishing this goal 5 years ago, but had to bow out of the race with only weeks to go with a back injury. I decided that this was my year and I wasn't going to let anything keep me from reaching my goal. You can imagine my frustration when a few months ago I began having a lot of trouble with my IT bands (for you non-runners IT Band Syndrome is extremely painful and affects the entire outside of your leg--from thigh to calf with the knee being a particular painful section. It is also one of the most stubborn injuries to get over) After an 18 mile training run 4 weeks ago I have been on a skeleton training schedule and in the last 2 weeks only made it out on a 4 mile run, all in an effort to rest my leg so I would be able to finish the race. Last night it was hurting just from walking around the house (not good), but I was bound and determined to finish (one thing about ITBS is that while it is extremely painful, it won't cause any permanent damage if you "run through the pain" It will just take you a bit longer to recover).

After the race started this morning I began experiencing sharp pains throughout my leg by the 3rd mile. I kept going and a miraculous thing happened, it went partially numb! It still hurt like crazy, but I just kept going and going and going. I got clear to mile 21 before I hit the wall. I'm not going to lie to you, the last 5 miles were definitely not easy. I had pains in places I didn't even know existed, BUT I DID IT!! I finished and even lived to tell the tale. Since I was running injured I had no time aspirations whatsoever. I figured if I finished before 5 hours I would be happy as a clam. I came in at 4:45 so I'm pleased with that.

This is me taking an ice bath in the gutter. Definitely something I thought I would NEVER do, but my legs took such a beating I really needed an ice bath and it was my only option. (The water was running swift and was perfectly clear so I decided to chance it)


Click on this picture to see my expression when I first sat down. It was so coooooooold!

I plan on spending the rest of the day laying down with ice bags on my legs. Adam thinks this is all completely insane, but he has been very supportive. He makes a goal every year to NOT run a marathon and every year he reaches his goal. He's pretty happy about that.

11 comments:

Sharon said...

Wow Wow WOW!!!! Way to go! It makes me want to run a marathon so bad! Great job!

Rob said...

You are impressive! Good for you! -Diedre

Malinda said...

You are a stud! I'm with Adam. I've never understood people who want to run a marathon, but I'm impressed nonetheless.

Tiffany Salter said...

Good job! I am very proud of you!

Jeff & Liberty said...

Wow Hil! That's quiet an accomplishment. Congrats! Do you remember last year when we were going to encourage each other to workout and eat better? You followed through BIG TIME. I fell off the wagon.

Tricia said...

No kidding. I had no idea you were working on a marathon. Cool.
-McKay

larah said...

I think I am with Adam on this one! And I have not been disappointed when I have reached my goal every year either!

Congrats to you though! I really admire you for your determination!

Ker-Dog and the gang said...

Good job Hil-dog! That's amazing. I would be lucky to finish a 5K. I've never been a runner.

Tay and Jen said...

That is awesome! On Saturday I was checking for results but they weren't posted yet. My first marathon with be the Shanghai Marathon on Nov 29 this year. I'm very nervous. But like you, I've got to check it off the list!
-Tay

Linn said...

I am SO beyond impressed--way to go for sure!

Tricia said...

So are SO awesome! I am so impressed. Really, how many people write this down on their list of things to do in their lifetime and how many people actually do it? Way to go!!!