Monday, February 4, 2008

A Good Heart

Britton is a kid with a good heart. Each Sunday in Primary he sits with his arms folded, and sings his little heart out on every song. He just has such a desire to be good. This afternoon all of the kids got in trouble for not cleaning up the family room (and telling me they had) and for eating crackers out of the kitchen. I calmly explained that we weren't going to have treats for Family Home Evening because of their actions. Britton immediately began cleaning the family room and after a few minutes came to me and said, "Mom, would it be possible to earn back the FHE treats by doing extra jobs?" Uhh, yeah. He set about cleaning up wherever he could. A little while later I was in the kitchen getting dinner ready and he came up to me and said, "Mom, is there anything I can do to help you?" Now, anytime a 6 year old boy looks at you with big blue eyes and asks such a thing it makes you want to just give him a big hug and kiss! I told him he could set the table which he quickly did. After a sufficient amount of time had passed he asked me if perhaps he had done enough to earn back the treats and was so happy when I said that he had. It didn't matter that all he really had for a treat were some old fruit snacks (no wonder they were on sale). It was the principle of the matter with him. He has a lot of energy and is bouncing off the wall at times and heaven knows he likes to tease his sisters, but I'm amazed at his maturity level when it comes to spiritual things and his desire to be obedient. If we are having a late morning and running around it's Britton that won't leave for the bus stop until we have had family prayer and if we get home late and are quickly getting the kids to bed it is Britton that says, "But Mom, we haven't read our scriptures yet!" Like I said, he just has such a good heart.

Ok, so my sister is the most organized person on the planet. We visited her house this last weekend and while she wasn't looking I took a few pictures of her closets and cupboards. I would dare say that about 98.2% of the population has at least a few drawers, closets or cupboards that are a bit unorganized. My sister Heather does NOT fall into that category.

Exhibit A--The pantry


Yes, all of the lables are facing the same direction, and yes everything is labeled. A more perfect pantry you will not find!

Exhibit B--Cupboard above the desk in the kitchen area.

I know you can't read the labels so let me clarify for you. There is a special basket for keys, batteries, and scissors. There is a drawer labeled for pencils, pens and markers, etc. A place for everything, and everything in its place. My favorite feature is the lable on the top right that says, "Label Maker" marking the exact spot where this most prized possession is kept.

I love to give Heather a hard time because it is such a rare thing to have every single area of your house in perfect order. She is truly an organizing marvel. (She has no idea I did this so I'm sure she will find this post to be most interesting!) She is very much an inspiration to us all! Now, let's all get out there and . . .well. . .organize something!!

3 comments:

Malinda said...

Heather, you are AMAZING!
Hilary, if you ever have a camera at my house, I am watching you like a hawk. I certainly would not want pictures of my pantry out there for the whole world to see.

Jeff & Liberty said...

Hope you don't mind, but I'm considering stealing these organization pictures to put on my blog too. A modern day marvel...

Hilary said...

Trust me Malin, if your pantry looked like that you wouldn't mind having people look at it. But no worries, I certainly don't make it a practice to take such pictures--no "hawk watching" needed. :-)