Let me describe what dinner was like at our house tonight. I had everything dished up and ready to go when Adam got home, but didn't even get a chance to talk with him until well after the dinner hour. The kids had SO much to say that we both did a lot of "uh-huh"
ing and "Oh really?"
ing, followed by an occasional, "wow", "that's awesome", and a "you're funny" when appropriate. My kids are into
Scooby Doo in a major way right now and I've learned that these phases don't last for a few short months--they go on for years! (
Britton LOVED Thomas the Train for 3 solid years and it was just his last summer that he swapped out Thomas for
Scooby Doo)
Britton and Jenna aren't just casual about things, they are obsessed!
Scooby Doo is all they can think and talk about so it will come as no surprise that 95% of the lively dinner discussion tonight was simply a very loud and dramatic rehash of every single episode of
Scooby Doo they have ever seen. My favorite was when Jenna jumped up from the table and began reenacting various scenes in full character. Give this girl an academy award for acting! Really, the drama was superb (it is her specialty, after all). She was running from side to side making all of their funny faces and repeating their lines.
Britton was standing on his chair and each were trying to talk over the other. The excitement reached such a level
Korinne felt an intrinsic need to do SOMETHING so she stripped down to her diaper and started running around the table laughing and yelling and sticking out her tongue while waving her arms. (It is very important for
Korinne to not be outdone by either sibling) The scene was right out of a movie like "Cheaper by the Dozen" and it was all Adam and I could do to not burst out laughing.
Britton likes Math. We got him a
Scooby Doo addition and subtraction workbook and he worked on it for 2 hours today! I told him he didn't need to do the whole book in one day, but he absolutely loved it and kept going after each page.
Britton also likes to celebrate his accomplishments (see the Jr. Jazz post for additional examples) and this scene was played out in our kitchen all afternoon:
Britton, "Mom, 14-6 is 8, right?"
Me, "Yes"
Britton, "
YESSSSS!" (Just like Napoleon Dynamite at the milk tasting competition)
My favorite was when he would jump up and throw both arms in the air like this every time he completed one of the word puzzles at the end of a worksheet. He would say something like, "I knew it, I knew it! That is
sooo awesome!"

I'm loving the enthusiasm. He may be a real Math whiz like his father---The original Mr. "Regional Sterling Scholar in Mathematics" man. And now that I think of it, I wasn't so shabby in that subject either! :-) (I have no idea where Britton's need to celebrate his own accomplishments comes from.)
Korinne is very much a 2 year old. As she and Jenna were sitting up to the counter for lunch today Korinne wanted the sandwich I gave Jenna even though both were identical. Korinne was getting upset so Jenna calmly swapped the sandwiches and turned to me and said, "Korinne just thinks it all about HER all the time." Yes Jenna, you're right, she does. Jenna just shook her head and ate her sandwich. It made me smile.
2 comments:
Don't tell Britton, but Ben has never even heard of Scooby Doo. I'm telling you that if you introduce him to Star Wars, there will be no turning back! I guess you might not want to. :)
Benson loves to do homework workbooks too. I'll buy him a huge one, and I know it will be completed in a couple of days. When does that transition to hating homework occur? I hope never!
Scooby has a presence in our home too. Benson asks for scooby snacks sometimes. (They actually sell those btw.)
Korinne just makes me giggle. What a personality!
Post a Comment