It was a big day for our family. First Korinne turned 8 years old on Friday and was baptized yesterday.
Second, Adam received a new calling today. He was put in as the Bishop of our ward. Yes, the Bishop. I'll pause here for a moment so you can throw your head back and laugh for a little bit.. . . . .Done? Ok, I'll continue. It was a shock to me, but not a surprise. People have been teasing us for months that Adam was going to be the next Bishop. Once any Bishop starts nearing his 5 year mark the speculations begin and for the last 2 months a lot of people have been joking with us that Adam was on the short list. I, of course, brushed it off and tried not to think about it, but when the call came in to come and meet with the Stake Presidency last Sunday night I was more than a little nervous. When we arrived and all 3 members of the Stake Presidency came into the Stake President's office with us and sat down I thought to myself, "Oh dear, this is not good." I think I even made a joke as I was sitting down, "Ok, now you guys are really starting to make me nervous." To which they all just smiled and chuckled. President Hill extended the call and for the next 3 days I had to keep asking myself if it had really happened or if I just dreamed it up. Adam's parents were already planning on coming up for Korinne's baptism this weekend so it turned out just perfectly as they didn't have to make a separate trip for Adam's Dad to be able to ordain him a High Priest.The Stake Presidency came to our ward this morning and within about 3 minutes it was all done. They invited the outgoing Bishopric to go and sit with their families and they invited the new Bishopric to come and take their place on the stand. Jameson was not at all cooperative, just in case you were wondering. I was already out in the hall (he didn't even make it through the opening hymn) and had to stand at the back of the chapel by the door when they sustained Adam as the Bishop. I did try and return to my seat at one point, but after a minute Jameson saw Adam on the stand and wasn't happy about it so after making quite a fuss I had to take him back out to the foyer. This time my Mom came out and took him so I could at least hear Adam speak a little bit. I think I will be spending many a Sacrament meeting out in the foyer with my son from now on. At church Jameson only wants Adam. Period. He wants Adam to hold him, he wants Adam to take him out, etc. It is going to be quite an adjustment for him, but I'm sure he'll get over it. . . eventually.
So, there is our big news of the day. Adam is now at the church trying to figure out how to start Bishop-ing. Yeah, I'm glad it isn't me, but I will definitely have my hands full at home for the next 5 years.


5 comments:
Congrats on the new call...and good luck to all!
Been thinking about you guys all day! At least your other kids are old enough to behalf themselves while you are out in the foyer with Jameson for the next year or two...:). I have "fond" memories of sitting on the bench without husband help for many years! I'm rooting you on.
Congratulations! I am not surprised for a second. Good luck with it all! Oh the demands and oh the blessings. You guys are fabulous!
You will both do a wonderful job at Bishop-ing. The woman behind the scenes is very important. May the Lord bless you all.
I should have started reading your blog from the beginning instead of going backwards. Go Bishop Adam!
Post a Comment