Thursday, February 17, 2011

True Professional

I have many roles in life: wife, mom, blogger, runner, family historian, professional knitter, taxi driver. . . whoa, back up a minute, professional knitter?? Yes, it's true.  I've learned how to make hats and someone pays me to do it. That, by all definitions and purposes, would make me a "professional knitter"!

Ok, you can stop laughing now.

No seriously, it's not that funny. Actually, you're right, it is pretty funny. I'm not the kind of person who just screams "knitter extraordinaire", am I? A friend introduced me to someone who designed and then started selling "Beard Beanie's" on her etsy website.



It's a hat that has a beard attached. It's comfortable, keeps your face nice and toasty and is hilarious.  People love them. They became so wildly popular so quickly that soon the designer found herself unable to keep up with the demand so she started training and paying other people to make the hats and crochet the beards. The hats got such a reaction they started appearing on TV programs in places like Australia and Europe and now she sells them all over the world. A few months ago my friend Carrie started crocheting the beards and now I've started making the hats.  It is something I can do at home or while sitting in the car waiting for the kids.  There is no quota, I just make them whenever I can.  I never thought I would ever be known as a "hat lady" but I think it has been kind of fun to learn a new skill.  My hats are going to be all over the world.  Kind of a cool thought.  

You can see all of her hats on her website http://beardbeanie.com  (Her original designs are patent pending). After much practice and with the help of a knitting machine I have finally gotten to where I can make a hat in a little less than an hour.  Here I am with one of my creations before handing it off to the beard maker.


Life goal #248- learn to make hats. Check!

8 comments:

Malinda said...

Who knew?!? That is awesome. Those beard beanies are so funny.

Jeff & Liberty said...

Very stylish.

Kris Tina said...

Oh Greg loves these and is dying to have me make him one. Unfortunately, he isn't going to pay me.

Rob said...

Good job! That is very nice work. Diedre Gray

Jackie said...

I am really impressed. I may have to get one of those for school outside duty. The students would love it!

Kristen said...

Very impressive. You look cute in your hat. I like them.

Tay and Jen said...

Let me know when your volume gets big enough that you need some help to make more. I know people.

Tricia said...

Hilary, I am totally laughing! I have never pictured you as a knitter. And those hats are hilarious!