Monday, February 14, 2011

The Pact

For Valentines day I did what any other "holiday challenged" person would do, I spent last week making sure that Adam didn't have anything up his sleeve so that I wouldn't be stressed about the fact that I had absolutely nothing planned for him.  Nothing.  The usual treats are a no-go this year because we are both still counting calories until at least the end of the month.  We've made a lot of pacts like this over the years.  Most of the time we both comply, but occasionally one of us has completely disregarded the pact and pulled out a big surprise. I've done it and he has done it so neither one of us can get too upset.  Anyway, last night I was completely confident that this year we had both complied with our pact. 
This morning I could hear Adam making pancakes for the kids, which is totally normal.  I heard him say, "Come on Britton! It's in the spirit of Valentines!" This made me giggle. It was obvious he was making "special"  pancakes--pink hearts as it turned out.  The kids gave him a lot of confused looks and didn't eat more than 2 bites.  Britton couldn't figure out why he would do such a thing.  "Ahh", I thought, "perhaps the kids may take after me when it comes to holidays after all!"

Anyway, that isn't my story. When I got to the kitchen the kids got excited and said, "Mom, open your cards!"  They all had Valentine cards for me and there was an envelope from Adam.  I opened the envelope and read the nice note and then unfolded the papers.  It was a plane ticket to San Antonio to attend my sister's 40th Birthday Party in May.  I don't know when I've ever been so surprised!  Not only did he book my ticket but he coordinated everything so I could travel with my sister who lives in Idaho. (My sister, of course, knew nothing about this until her husband surprised her with it today) When Adam discovered that my parents would already be in San Antonio and wouldn't be able to drive us to the airport that day he even made other arrangements to get us to the airport for our flight all while communicating with my sister in Texas to make sure the dates were correct.  The kicker is that my sister's birthday is the day before his birthday so I will be in Texas for his birthday this year.  When I made a comment about being gone on his birthday he just said, "It's her 40th birthday, mine doesn't really matter."

Wow. Not only did he NOT keep our pact this year, but he pretty much shot it out of the ball park.

6 comments:

Tiffany Salter said...

One slight correction, it is my 29th birthday... giggle.

I am super excited that you and Heather are going to be able to come.

Malinda said...

That's awesome! Way to go Adam and Aar-dog!

Heather said...

Party! Yeah, I was totally surprised and I usually figure things out:)

Kristen said...

What nice valentines from a couple of pretty nice guys! Congratulations, girls! You've got some real winners there.

larah said...

That is wonderful! I can't imagine what you are going to do next year to top that.

Emily said...

How fun! Sad that you will be in my state, and yet still so far away! I love San Antonio. We went there the week after Christmas! You will have a blast! Sister time is the best!