Saturday, October 2, 2010

Heartburn

Hypochondriacs have a long memory. At least my Korinne does. We were eating lunch between sessions of conference today and Britton asked, "So do we have anything this week that isn't what we usually do?  You know, something different?"  I went through the week's schedule and then Adam chimed in, "But next week we're going to St. George!"  This is when Korinne started crying.

"I don't want to go to St. George!"

Shocked, we asked her why she didn't want to go to St. George, "Don't you want to see funny Gramma and funny Grampa?"

"Yes"

"Then why don't you want to go to St. George?"

"I don't want to get sick!" More uncontrollable sobbing and crocodile tears.

Oh, I see.  The last time we were in St. George Korinne spent 3 days out in over 100 degree heat without stopping to drink any water.  She became dehydrated and spent our last night there feeling very sick.  She recovered once we got some fluids in her, but still remembers the experience vividly. (I had totally forgotten about it, of course)

Jenna, seeing Korinne in distress immediately tried to help the situation.  "Korinne, I can almost guarantee that you won't get sick this time. There is a 99% chance you won't get sick,  (pause) that means there is only a 1% chance that you will get sick" (which is the only thing Korinne hears in this sentence, of course).

Thanks, for your help, Jenna.

I have a feeling that the trip is going to be long as we all try and alleviate Korinne's fears about getting sick all the way to St. George. I'm also sure that she will be drinking so much water on the way down that we will have to stop every hour or so to use a restroom.

While we are on the topic of Korinne and her fear of sickness just last week she came up to me excitedly and said, "Mom, I took one of these for my stomach and now it isn't going to hurt." She was holding a container of tums.  "Oh Korinne, this isn't really for your stomach is it for heartburn.  You don't need it so don't take anymore, ok?"  I was explaining what heartburn was to a curious Britton and Jenna when Korinne came back to me with crocodile tears and her bottom lip quivering.

"Mom, I want it out of my stomach right now.  I don't want my heart to burn!" She had concluded that the medicine she had just consumed was going to cause heartburn instead of getting rid of it. She was so scared she had gone a little pale. 

You know, I really hope Korinne stays healthy in life because this hypochondriac has a fabulous memory.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

She does have an amazing memory! Good luck with all of that. She's pretty entertaining to all of us though.