My Grandpa turned 96 this past week. 96! I don't know of very many men who have lived to age 96. Not only that but he still lives at home. Adam's Grammie turns 95 next week and has enjoyed relatively good health and still lives on her own. I'd say my kids have a great genetic shot at making it to a very old age.
This is for my siblings. Now you can feel like you were at Grandpa's birthday party, too.
Soccer.
Just the word makes me sigh (and unfortunately not in a good way). Britton has always played soccer and really enjoys it. Jenna, my girly girl who has never shown any interest in soccer suddenly declared this year that she would like to play. Adam figured that Britton and Jenna were close enough in age that they could be on the same team and he could be the coach. This was a perfect plan right up until we found out that they no longer have co-ed teams for 1st and 2nd graders. So now Adam is coaching Britton's team AND Jenna's team and we have officially entered the "Soccer Twilight Zone". When the schedules came out we found that Britton and Jenna have 3 games being played at the exact same time but in different locations and 5 games that don't have enough time in between them to get to the new location. On top of that Adam is supposed to have weekly practices with both teams in addition to the 2 games they both play each week. Pure insanity? Yes. But if anyone can do it, Adam can. Before long he had schedules out to both teams, treat sign-up lists going around, practices scheduled, and assistant coaches lined up and ready to fill in during all the gaps. He's my hero.
Britton's first game was last night. It was cold, rainy, windy, and did I mention cold?
I had a hat, gloves, blanket and umbrella and Britton did a great job!
Tonight was Jenna's first soccer game ever. It didn't take me very long to realize that girls soccer is a bit different than boys soccer. Sure Britton had a lot of teams with 1 or 2 girls on them but I've never witnessed 2 complete teams of girls playing soccer. Here are a few things that I noticed:
1- Girls play like. . . well, girls. I'm pretty sure I saw some prancing.
2- I saw at least 2 girls cry when things didn't go the way they had hoped. ("There's no crying in baseball!")
3- Some parents have an uncanny ability to track down hair bows that match the uniforms perfectly.
4- If the girls weren't actually in the game playing they had absolutely no interest in what was going on and spent their "resting" time giggling, dancing and playing. "Game? What game?"
Here is Jenna in her uniform:
This is for my siblings. Now you can feel like you were at Grandpa's birthday party, too.
Soccer.
Just the word makes me sigh (and unfortunately not in a good way). Britton has always played soccer and really enjoys it. Jenna, my girly girl who has never shown any interest in soccer suddenly declared this year that she would like to play. Adam figured that Britton and Jenna were close enough in age that they could be on the same team and he could be the coach. This was a perfect plan right up until we found out that they no longer have co-ed teams for 1st and 2nd graders. So now Adam is coaching Britton's team AND Jenna's team and we have officially entered the "Soccer Twilight Zone". When the schedules came out we found that Britton and Jenna have 3 games being played at the exact same time but in different locations and 5 games that don't have enough time in between them to get to the new location. On top of that Adam is supposed to have weekly practices with both teams in addition to the 2 games they both play each week. Pure insanity? Yes. But if anyone can do it, Adam can. Before long he had schedules out to both teams, treat sign-up lists going around, practices scheduled, and assistant coaches lined up and ready to fill in during all the gaps. He's my hero.
Britton's first game was last night. It was cold, rainy, windy, and did I mention cold?
I had a hat, gloves, blanket and umbrella and Britton did a great job!
Tonight was Jenna's first soccer game ever. It didn't take me very long to realize that girls soccer is a bit different than boys soccer. Sure Britton had a lot of teams with 1 or 2 girls on them but I've never witnessed 2 complete teams of girls playing soccer. Here are a few things that I noticed:
1- Girls play like. . . well, girls. I'm pretty sure I saw some prancing.
2- I saw at least 2 girls cry when things didn't go the way they had hoped. ("There's no crying in baseball!")
3- Some parents have an uncanny ability to track down hair bows that match the uniforms perfectly.
4- If the girls weren't actually in the game playing they had absolutely no interest in what was going on and spent their "resting" time giggling, dancing and playing. "Game? What game?"
Here is Jenna in her uniform:
I was a little bit nervous when she said she wanted to be the goalie for part of the game but I'm happy to say that the other team didn't score during the time she was goalie. Of course, she spent a lot of time dancing around the goal area, but that is completely beside the point.
In this picture I caught her looking into the goal instead of out. She was probably in the middle of a dance move or something.
She seemed to enjoy herself so we'll see how the rest of the season goes. The weather couldn't have been more perfect tonight. It was awesome.
Korinne is my special spectator friend. Tonight we had a kissing war and we tried to give each other as many kisses as we could. It's my new favorite game. She was laughing and giggling while trying to kiss my cheeks. It was precious.
4 comments:
We are veterans at girls' soccer, so I laughed at your list of differences. Do I get points for naming the movie for your quote?
The rule is that if you want hair accessories that match perfectly, you have to make your own . . . I've done it the last two years. I can hear you mocking. :)
Coaching is fun. Especially that you get to schedule when and where the practices. It's a hassle, but almost easier to be in charge. Good luck. We start 4 in baseball this week! Should be fun!
Abigail and Jenna can bond over this whole princess soccer thing... Good times.
I applaud your efforts to try to be and coach all the games! It sounds like a crazy but rewarding experience!
Post a Comment