Thursday, April 8, 2010

"Spring Break"

It's "spring break" and yes, I have the quotations for a reason.  We did not make any plans for spring break this year because Adam and I knew we would be dealing with jet lag and trying to get caught up from being in China for a week. Unfortunately our plans of letting the kids play outside and enjoy their time off from school hasn't quite gone the way we envisioned.  For one thing, it's freezing outside and they can only play in snow for so long before their hands are a bright red color and they just can't take it anymore.  It also didn't help that our entire neighborhood went 5 1/2 hours south for the week in search of warmer weather.  Freezing weather + no friends = not very exciting spring break. Sorry kids.

Jenna and Britton out playing in the snow.

I love it when Jenna gets into an organizing mood.  Here she is going through all of our DVDs and putting them in order by genre.  Korinne was her little assistant.  Jenna's excellent reading skills come in handy these days.

After we finished the dishes the other night as a family Jenna closed the dishwasher and Korinne shouted, "I want to push the play button!"  I guess pushing "play" gets the dishes clean.

I took the kids to the library on Monday.  I figured if it was just us inside for the entire week we ought to have a few books to keep everyone occupied.  I let them each pick 4 books and they have read each and every one.  I guess we will be going back today for a new supply.  Jenna is the one who most enjoys sitting down and reading a book. Britton gets all of his reading done at night when he is supposed to be in his room, but hasn't fallen asleep yet.  Both have them read 4 chapter books in 3 days.  Not bad.

We really hope that we won't have to wake up to the sound of a snowblower until next winter. . .hey, we can hope, can't we?

4 comments:

Jeff & Liberty said...

Haha! For the first time ever, Vermont is warmer! It got to 80 degrees on Sat. In NYC it was 86 and felt like summer, of course we came back to VT and it's rainy and we're wearing sweaters, but at least no white stuff!

Emily said...

sometimes the best vacations are when you can't go anywhere. Enjoy!

Kristen said...

Wow! That's a lot of snow. We got snow every day but it melted every day too.

larah said...

I am glad that the snow has finally melted here but I am not holding my breath because I know that tomorrow could bring snow showers (I sure hope not though). I can't believe how much snow you guys got though! Crazy!