I'll tell you about my day because it was a pretty typical one. Around here life starts around 7:30 a.m. Britton is usually up and will start to practice the piano around 7:30. That is my cue to get out of bed and help him go through all of his songs. There is a good chance that one or both of the girls snuck into our room during the night and is sleeping on the floor by the bed. (Believe me when I say we are working on this.) This morning Jenna was up early trying to get her room cleaned up before school so she could get all of her daily points, but usually we have to wake her up at 7:45 a.m. Adam handles the breakfast and I take care of the clothes/hair/backpack/clean room situation. We have family prayer at 8:10 and Britton and Jenna are off to the bus after a round of family hugs. (Korinne will not let the kids leave the house until she has had a big hug from both of them.) After cleaning up the kitchen, getting ready, cleaning my room, getting Korinne ready and checking my e-mail and reading the newspaper Korinne is ready to go to preschool. After she is dropped off I head out to a primary meeting where the big topic on hand is the upcoming primary program. After the meeting and arranging for Korinne to get picked up from preschool, I went to the school to have lunch with Jenna. It is national school lunch week and today was the day parents were encouraged to come and eat with their 1st graders. (Tomorrow I will get to go and eat with Britton.) Jenna was so excited to have me there and they served pizza hut pizza with breadsticks, pears, and fresh carrots. (Definitely a step up from the sloppy cooked spinach they served me as a child.)
After lunch Korinne and I were off to run some errands. First we headed to the Sprint repair store. I got a new phone a few weeks ago and during the Vegas Ragnar it suddenly stopped letting me hear and talk on regular calls. Texting worked, earphones & speaker phone worked, it just wouldn't let me make regular phone calls. I tried everything and even had Adam "the genius" look at it (seriously, he can figure everything out.) Well, we decided it had to be taken in. As soon as I walked in the store and explained the problem the guy called my phone and miraculously it worked just fine. Aghh! Of course I felt super silly. What is up with that?! Anywho, it was off to the next errand-Kohl's. I put on my friendly smile and proceeded to beg them to take my Kohl's cash that expired on Oct. 7th. "Pleeeeeeeaase have mercy on me!" I tried not to sound too desperate, but losing $30 of free stuff was just too much for me to bear. Well, whatever I did worked. Gotta love customer service. While there I tried on some sunglasses and asked Korinne what she thought. She looked at me and said, "You look, um. . .(pause) different" said with a slight smile. I just laughed. It was clear she didn't like them, she just wasn't sure the right way to tell me. I tried on a few more pairs and Korinne had a definite opinion about each one. You know, I never have Korinne with me at places like Kohl's but I can see she definitely has potential to be a shopper when she gets older. "Oh Mom, all of this is just awesome!" "Mom, look at how cool this Disney underwear is!", "Mom, I definitely need a new watch, like this tinkerbell watch." She got over the fact that she wasn't going to get her tinkerbell watch, but wasn't happy about it. She walked around the store with little stars in her eyes which brought 2 words to my mind, "Uh-Oh."
We went to the bank and the distribution center before heading home. We got home 5 minutes before Britton and Jenna arrived home from the bus stop. Britton always comes in like a whirlwind, "Mom, finished my homework on the bus, can I go play?" Before I can say yes he is out the door playing in the circle with his friends. Korinne was right on his heels. This is the time I spend with Jenna. I go through both backpacks and help Jenna with her homework and then read with her. She calmly gets through everything and then goes outside to play. Tonight she wanted to read twice as long as usual because she wants to help her class win the kite readers award or something like that. Britton would rather practice piano in the morning and read at night in his room. Jenna likes the one on one time with me after school.
After making dinner it was off to scouts for Britton. The girls played outside until it got dark and after Britton got home they watched an episode of "Ruff Ruffman" that had been recorded. We started getting the kids ready for bed at 7:30 p.m. Pajamas, teeth brushing, scriptures, family prayer. Our goal is to be done by 8 p.m. Britton usually is awake for a while longer in his room, but spends his time reading. He has been known to read 15 chapters of the Book of Mormon in his room in a typical night. I asked him one night if he knew what was going on when he read that much in a night and he proceeded to give me a 15 min. synopsis of the chapters with details even I wouldn't have remembered. Ok, I thought, this kid is getting it. Jenna will usually read the kids version of the Book of Mormon and a few other books to Korinne in Korinne's room. Then they will fall asleep next to each other on the floor. As idyllic as that all sounds just know that there are a few "I shouldn't be hearing anything up there!" and "Get back in your rooms, please" coming from us, and a few "Mom, I need a drink of water" and "Dad, I can't sleep, Korinne is bugging me" coming from them. Adam is always more sympathetic to their calls for help, so they usually ask for him. (That is what you call a no brainer)
Now I'm catching up on random things and blogging. It was just a typical day, but I realize that these "typical" days are what I'll want to remember years from now when my kids are out of the nest. Unfortunately time goes by way too fast.
6 comments:
You are a busy little family. Thanks for sharing your day. Love you all.
Kohls is my new favorite place to shop. It is the only store credit card we have because I love working their deals.
Have I ever said that our two oldest kids are remarkably similar? They are.
Hey I just heard about a fun FREE community event. Unfortunately it's not in my little Vermont community. But it is in yours! You probably know all about it, but I thought I'd pass it along anyway. www.pumpkinwalk.com
You're a busy mom! I think they'll be out of the "nest" before we know it. What will we do then?
I read where you went to the Vegas Ragner. I know the family of the girl who's husband was killed she was a student at my school and her brother is a teacher at my school. Her Father talked in our church on Sunday. That was so sad my thoughts have been with their family. Enjoy those busy days.
What a perfectly cute family you have! I'll bet your kids will treasure this description of their typical day in the years to come!
Post a Comment