We generally consider ourselves to be city folk but Adam and I both have some seriously redneck relatives and tonight we tapped into that part of our family trees. We told the kids to get their jackets because we were going to the Demolition Derby. "What's that?" It is a place where cars go around and crash into each other
on purpose. This was, of course, followed by looks of confusion and downright scepticism. "Why do they do that?" For pure entertainment. They decided to humor us and off we went. We were in our seats waiting for it all to begin and for the first time I stopped to take a real good look at my kids. I hadn't really noticed before but I realized that I had unknowingly allowed my kids to go out in public like this:

I promise her hair did not look like this when I put the pony tails in this morning.

I helped Korinne put on the socks and assumed she would put on her black Mary Jane type shoes before getting in the car, but apparently she decided to go a different direction. Having them on the wrong feet is just an added bonus.

They all had grass stains on their pants, Jenna had remnants of dinner on her cheek, and Britton's hair looked like it hadn't been combed all day. Normally I would be horrified that I let my children go out like this, but tonight I just thought to myself "No problem, this is the demolition derby, we fit right in!"
The Derby was a hit! (no pun intended) Once the cars were out and crashing into each other the kids thought it was pretty cool. Definitely a new experience for them.
One car even rolled over after being hit. The car that hit him was stuck on the top. They had to stop the derby and wait for the tow trucks to get them ready again.

I knew I had channeled my inner redneck when I immediately stood up and cheered loudly as the car was tipping over. It was awesome.


Some of our friends from our old neighborhood were up visiting and came with us to the Derby. We had so much fun I think we'll do it again. They have 3 derbies every summer so it looks like we will have a lot of opportunities to be true to our redneck heritage.
3 comments:
I have to admit that I have never been to a demolition derby, or anything like it! I am glad that you all had so much fun. Right on!
Dad loved hearing all about the Derby from the kids. It really made an impression on them. I think that he wants to join you for the next one. You can take the boy out of the trailer but you can't take the trailer out of the boy. I think he's a bit of a Red Neck himself. Thanks for the relaxing Mother's Day.
Sounds like lots of fun! Taylor and I loved the Demolition Derby when we went last year. Gotta love CV.
Post a Comment