Sunday, November 9, 2008

"Fetch" and other random events

Here are some random happenings from this week:

1) A considerable amount of time was spent playing "fetch" with my girls. I'll explain but first let me give you a little bit of background--Korinne likes to pretend she is a kitty. . .a lot. She can be seen crawling around on hands and knees and saying, "meow" more than I would like to admit. She's just a few weeks shy of her 3rd birthday so there are definitely worse things she could be doing than pretending she is a kitty. We have embraced her feline aspirations and actually encourage her if it means she will be more cooperative during the day. I was helping Jenna with her school work one day early in the week and Korinne kept bringing me a plastic CD holder that was disc shaped and easy to "fetch." She would bring it to me in her mouth so I would throw it away from the desk and she would crawl over to it, meow a few times, pick it up with her mouth and bring it back to me. We repeated this process about 100 times. I didn't have the heart to tell her that kitty cats don't play fetch, only dogs. The following night she and Jenna played fetch with each other for the better part of an hour. Who needs pets when they have kids??



2) What is the world's largest dolphin?? The killer whale, of course. Every 5 minutes or so Britton will be more than happy to share such important facts with you. (This is the fact he came in with as I started this post.) Britton can often be found reading books about animals and science and trust me when I say he doesn't believe in keeping all of this knowledge to himself! We all benefit from his studies.

3) Jenna has added cooking to her repertoire. Here she is making her first batch of macaroni and cheese.

She has a real interest in cooking, just not eating. If she could live off of applesauce, macaroni and cheese, and oatmeal she would do it. Getting her to eat anything else or to try something new is like trying to get a normal person to eat crickets. It just isn't going to happen. I keep waiting for this 3 year food battle to end. (Believe me when I say she has gone to bed many a night hungry!) On a positive note she is getting pretty good at making what she will eat all by herself. Hot chocolate? check. Oatmeal? Easy peasy. And now she can make herself Macaroni and Cheese. Not bad for a 5 year old. (No calls to DFS, please. She is properly supervised at all times.)

On a whim we took the kids to see HSM3 last night. It was fun and we enjoyed it, but I was a little disappointed with the wardrobe, or the lack thereof in this case. It made me remember what Britton said while watching HSM2 last year. "Umm, where the rest of her dress??" My thoughts exactly!

7 comments:

larah said...

Around here my kids pretend they're horses! Anyway....It's great that you are teaching Jenna how to create her own meal! Next, dinner for the family Mac and Cheese! YES!

Malinda said...

It is starting to freak me out a little how similar our two oldest kids are. Ben is constantly spewing science facts and Emily is the most finicky eater I've ever met. She never complains about being hungry, but she hardly eats anything. If it wasn't for peanut butter and jelly and cheese and crackers, she would waste away!

No offense to Korinne, but I'm a little afraid to have Abby keeping up the pattern. :)

Rob and Amy said...

For the first 5-6 months we had him, Cairo would fetch. Mostly pens. He would sit on my scrapbooking while I worked on it and I'd chuck pens out the door to get rid of him. He brought them right back. Cats can fetch. Do you remember who did our quilt top-stitching for us? I'll have one ready soon.

Hilary said...

I stand corrected. Cats CAN fetch. Who knew?

Kate said...

Jenna makes me laugh -- sounds like she'll be babysitting before Britton does!! She'll do the cooking and Britton can do the entertaining!!

Tay and Jen said...

Ya, so, Taylor has come up with something new: He wants to get a puppy!? Where did that come from? Maybe we can borrow Korinne for a while.

Ker-Dog and the gang said...

Isaac started out pretending to be an elephant when he was 2, then a horsey and we had to call him "baby horsey" then every animal in the book and he is still convinced at 9 that he is a dog. He barks at almost every do he sees. So all I can say is good job embracing it, your pet might be around for a while.
You are awesome to let Jenna cook at 5. I need to let my kids do more.