Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Alliance

We picked the kids up from school yesterday afternoon and headed to SLC. My parents had 2 extra tickets to the Jazz vs. Suns basketball game and invited us to go with them. Adam's sister watched the kids and we had a great time at the game. Our original plan was to leave at 7:00 a.m. this morning which would give us plenty of time to get Britton to school on time. After talking to my Mom and realizing she had quite a bit of office work she could use my help on we came up with an alternative plan--Adam would take the kids back to school and I would stay and get my Mom caught up in the office and then I would catch a shuttle back to CV from the airport. My parents were picking up my sister, Tiffany, from the airport at 1:30 p.m. anyway so dropping me off to catch a 2:15 p.m. shuttle wouldn't be a problem. What a great plan, right? I arrived in plenty of time to catch my shuttle but 2:15 p.m. came and went and the shuttle never arrived. After checking to make sure I was at the right location (which I was) and talking to a USU student from Hong Kong who was also waiting for the shuttle, we saw the shuttle coming but he never pulled over or even slowed down, he just kept right on going in the next lane over. I thought surely he would circle back around because there were obviously 2 people waiting, but he never did. When we called the shuttle company and they basically said, "Sorry, he must have forgotten you, we will be happy to put you on the 8:15 p.m. shuttle" WHAT !?! That's 5 hours from now! Kelly from Hong Kong had to be to work at 4:30 p.m. and was already using words like, "ridiculous", "not acceptable" and "can I speak to your manager?" They put her on hold and never got back to her. When I finally got through on my phone I spoke to a girl who sounded about 16 years old and was so scared I was going to rip her head off her voice was actually shaking. I was quite calm under the circumstances (I was really mad at this point) and said in my best no-nonsense voice, "Ok, this is what we are going to do, you are going to refund my money right now (we paid for the shuttle when we booked it online). She replied with, "Ummm, I don't think I can do that." "Yes, you can and you will. Get me someone who will authorize this for me right now." (How did I do? Are you shaking in your boots? It is hard work being pushy, I wonder how people are able to do it on a daily basis) By this time Kelly and I had formed an alliance and were already on our way to the rental cars. We got our money from the shuttle back and got the cheapest car we could get and were off. It actually ended up saving us about $5.00 a piece, which is a good thing because we were not happy campers and over an hour off schedule.

With our crisis averted my new friend Kelly and I talked all the way to Logan with the exception of a few moments when I took a call from Adam that went something like this, "Umm, yeah, your daughter got in a little bit of trouble." Knowing Korinne (and I knew immediately he was referring to Korinne and not Jenna), "little" was really code for "BIG." "Well, she found your make-up bag" ( I don't even need to describe the kind of destruction she can do with my make-up bag), then he said, "it gets worse. . .do you remember what you keep in your make-up bag?" I immediately thought of the hair cutting scissors I have hidden in my make-up bag so that we don't have any Jenna self-hair cutting moments and gasp, No! She didn't! (dramatic pause) Yup, she did. He continued, "It was really quiet so I went to see what she was up to and that is when I found the hair."

Finding a chunk of hair like this is NEVER a good sign. He assured me it wasn't as bad as the great haircutting disaster of 2005, but it was definitely noticeable. We just barely had Korinne's hair cut into a cute bob and it was all one length. Now it looks like this:

It's not too bad, it just looks like we are growing out her bangs. . .again. (We just finished growing them out and it was finally all one length). Oh, and to top it off she colored on the wall in Adam's office, just for good measure. And just like Jenna in 2005, she was pretty proud of her new haircut.

Ok, I just noticed that I use way too many parenthesis and quotation marks when I tell stories.

Question. Which bear is best?

8 comments:

sunsetandcamden said...

Bears, beets, Battlestar Gallactica!

Jeff & Liberty said...

He He. At least she has hair to cut!

I wonder if we will ever get there with Sadie, who, at fifteen months old, seems just as bald as the day she was born!

Glad you finally got back home. (Yeah, I way over use parenthesis and quotations. I just can't help it!)

Malinda said...

Parenting 101: quiet is good; really quiet can be scary.

What bear? I'm so confused.

Hilary said...

Malin, you OWN a Dunder Mifflin T-shirt and have "Office" viewing parties with Nate! Think Jim dressed up as Dwight and get back to me. . .

Kate said...

Whew!! That wore me out! I'm glad you are back home and you can keep a close eye on Korinne!! That is too funny!

larah said...

It sounds like you had a "Grandma June" moment. She would be proud!
And the hair thing...LOL! At least it wasn't as bad as it could have been!
See you next week for the big bash!

Heather said...

Scissors are dangerous in your household!

Rob and Amy said...

I remember the haircut disaster of 2005. It inspired a haircut disaster of our own.