Monday, September 15, 2008

School Lunch

Britton is the V.I.P student in his class this week. I received a note that said the following, "Britton would like to invite you to have lunch with the first grade any day that is convenient for you. Lunch will be served at 11:45. You may bring a lunch or purchase a lunch for $ 1.60. Exact change is required." Ok, I can do that. So today I showed up at exactly 11:45 and got to the lunch room right as Britton's class was going into the lunchroom. Britton was the first in line (just like always) and was already well on his way to getting his lunch. I tried to get his attention to let him know I was there--no response, so I quickly got my lunch and as I approached the lunch lady taking money I got out my EXACT change of $1.60 just as she looked at me and said "That will be $2.50" What?!? I followed instructions and brought exactly $1.60! I didn't have my purse or anything so I tried to plead my case, "But the teacher's note told me to bring exactly $ 1.60" but she was having none of it. "That's breakfast, lunch is $ 2.50 for adults" Sensing my obvious discomfort she finally relented and told me I could bring an additional $1.00 tomorrow. Totally embarrassing.

I think Britton must have been the first V.I.P for the school year in his class because when I sat down across from him in the lunch room his classmates just kind of looked at me and seemed a bit confused. (My small talk didn't go over so well). Britton didn't eat very much of his lunch and what he did eat took him all of 5 minutes. I hadn't even gotten to the stale tortilla chips in the "taco salad" before Britton got up and started taking his tray back to the kitchen on his way out to play. He was determined not to miss a moment of his recess and didn't seem the least bit influenced by my special appearance during 1st grade lunch. I spent the next 10 min. in an awkward silence surrounded by 6 and 7 year olds who were still confused as to why I was there in the first place.

To top off the experience I managed to lock my keys in the car and had to wait for Adam to rescue me. Sure made for an interesting afternoon.

11 comments:

Tiffany Salter said...

So much to look forward to!

Malinda said...

You win the prize for giving me the best laugh of the week. That is a FUNNY story. Between this and Jenna's first day of school story, maybe it is good that you will get a fresh start at a new school next week. :)

Ker-Dog and the gang said...

I too have been dogged at school lunch. So I understand your pain.

Did you clue the teacher in on the real cost of lunch?

Camille said...

Better luck next time. That is funny though. It might be a taste of what is to come when they're teenagers.

Hilary said...

His teacher did come and apologize to me after seeing the exchange from afar. She felt really bad about it and recognized her error.

To all of you school moms out there, do they normally only give out spoons when serving things like taco salad?? To me taco salad just screams fork, but maybe it's just me. Between the awkward silence and trying to figure out how to eat my salad with a spoon I felt like I WAS back in elementary school!

Sharon said...

How funny! I feel your pain! I always dreamed of how fun it would be to go to school lunch with my kids. I always end up sitting with kids that my kids or I don't know. I remember school lunch tasting better as a child.

Heather said...

I AM LAUGHING! For some reason, I had no problem picturing this moment...does the word 'moted' fit here?

Tay and Jen said...

Ya, you're right. That is pretty embarrassing!

Jeff & Liberty said...

thanks for the giggle.

Tay and Jen said...

it sounds like the lunch ladies are still mean bitter women with hair nets...I was laughing pretty hard when Jen and I read this!

Christy said...

Ohh. I can't believe Britton left you there! I can totally imagine that. Why is it that kids can be so intimidating when you don't know them and you aren't their teacher or anything?

By the way, congrats on your move to CV. It is so pretty there!