
For the first time ever Adam and I took the kids to a fireworks show last night. Every year until now we've just put them to bed at the normal time on July 4th and called it good. For some reason we thought it would be a great idea since they are getting older now, blah blah blah. Knowing we were "going to the park on the 4th of July" rookies we went early to try and find a good spot, etc. To make a long story much shorter we were in place by about 9:30 p.m. in a "great" spot just a baseball field away from where the fireworks were going off. Firework shows typically start at 10 p.m., right? Not so, my friends, not so. In West Jordan (which Britton affectionately renamed "Wait" Jordan) the firework show didn't begin until 10:50 p.m.!!! We were already questioning our decision to have the firework show experience but we figured we had waited this long we had better just stay. Once the show did finally begin it only took about about 60 sec. before a bright ember fell on Adam and surprised all of us as we hadn't seen it coming. That totally freaked Britton out. 2 full minutes into the show Korinne was crying and stooped behind Adam's back for cover, and Britton was hiding behind the stroller to protect himself from other such embers. Jenna seeing the panic in her siblings got really scared once the first of the "finale" type moments hit about 3 min. in. She started crying and running away, Britton was running away with her at this point, both of them with a look of sheer terror on their face and Korinne was crying and holding onto Adam. I ran after the kids and told Adam to start gathering up the blankets. It definitely wasn't the picturesque moment we were going for, and it must have been hilarious for the many onlookers sitting right by us. So, while tons of people were enjoying the beginning of a great firework show, we were rushing back to the car with 3 terrified children. Once we got back to the car they actually watched a bit more of the show and enjoyed it much more than they did when they were close to the action. As we started the car and started driving away Jenna simply said, "Well, that was sure odd." It made me laugh out loud, but pretty much summed up the entire experience. Once we got our exhausted kids in bed Adam shut our door and simply said, "Talk about your all time backfire!" Needless to say, we will NOT be attending anymore firework shows in the future.
We drove north today to check on our new house. I hadn't seen it since before they started framing and they are starting the sheet rock on Monday! It was fun to see the progress and see the plans come alive. I'm most excited about the fact that I will have a great view of the Logan Temple from my kitchen sink window. Sure beats looking at my back door neighbor who refuses to wear a shirt from March to October each year. I know he owns a few as he manages to find them during the winter--perhaps someone should let him in on a secret the rest of us have known for years. . . shirts do come with short sleeves and they are actually quite comfortable, even during the summer months! Ok, I sound bitter and I'm not. . .well. . .I guess I might be just a little. 5 years is a long time to look at the random tattoos of an old guy.
We drove north today to check on our new house. I hadn't seen it since before they started framing and they are starting the sheet rock on Monday! It was fun to see the progress and see the plans come alive. I'm most excited about the fact that I will have a great view of the Logan Temple from my kitchen sink window. Sure beats looking at my back door neighbor who refuses to wear a shirt from March to October each year. I know he owns a few as he manages to find them during the winter--perhaps someone should let him in on a secret the rest of us have known for years. . . shirts do come with short sleeves and they are actually quite comfortable, even during the summer months! Ok, I sound bitter and I'm not. . .well. . .I guess I might be just a little. 5 years is a long time to look at the random tattoos of an old guy.
3 comments:
Okay, I really feel bad for the trauma your kids went through, but I could not stop laughing. That is seriously funny stuff. Watching that would have been much more entertaining to me than the actual fireworks. Valiant effort though. Valiant effort.
WOW, Quite the adventure for the Campbells. I guess you won't be bothered that Cache Valley doesn't do fireworks on the fourth. We watched the fireworks from a far this year...and they started at 8:30.
I'm not sure if I should say you need to get out of the house more often or you're out of the house too much. Thanks for the laugh!
Post a Comment