Saturday, July 12, 2008

The BIG Oakcrest Reunion!

I went to Kamas last night with zero expectations. I figured even if I didn't see anyone I knew it would be a great date night for Adam and me. Well, yeah for 1995! We had quite a group show up!



It was so fun to see everyone and remember our experiences at camp. It has been a long time since I've thought or talked about Oakcrest so I was truly on Oakcrest overload! (Adam just laughed at me. He says he thinks its funny when he sees me "in the zone")

As if seeing a bunch of my fellow counselors wasn't enough I was able to find both of my counselors when I was a camper back in 1989 and 1990! I couldn't believe it!


Quackie with Thunder and me. Thunder (Mary) and I met as campers in Quackie's group in 1989 and both returned to be counselors the same year. Quackie was so overwhelmed to find out that we had BOTH returned and were counselors together she actually got a little teary eyed.

This is Sneaker and me.


Sneaker was my counselor in 1990 and we had actually kept in touch for quite awhile after camp. There was a group of 4 or 5 of us that served at her wedding a few years later. (Although I didn't remember that until we were talking afterwards.) She hadn't known I had returned to be a counselor and loved hearing about it. I think our volume level went up significantly when we started talking and laughing about all of the stuff we remembered about our time together at Oakcrest and the years that followed.

And last but not least, this is Elizabeth (Tiki).


She came up and introduced herself to me the same way I introduced myself to my counselors. She was one of my campers who years later returned to be a counselor and she wanted to thank me for being such a big influence in her life and told me that during her summer at Oakcrest she really tried to be the kind of counselor that I was to her.

It was just a fun, fun night for me. Its amazing to me the sphere of influence you have when you work at a place like Oakcrest. Its never ending and truly life changing. Its just a reminder of why I have such a special place in my heart for Oakcrest.

We had such a good time reconnecting that we've decided to have another reunion for just our year--and I think they put me in charge! :-)

The camp continues. Here I am in 1995 returning after a weekend:

The same location 13 years later:


Good Times.

5 comments:

Tiffany Salter said...

These are some really good pics of you Hil. Good to see you are aging well, you must be getting that from your older sister. :)

Kate said...

Wow! That is way awesome! I went to Oakcrest and loved it! I wish you could go for more than one year -- I have no idea when I was there. I am sure that you were a great influence on tons of people....you are such a wonderful person!

Tay and Jen said...

great post. I just wanted to point out that I found two grammatical errors in the text. You are missing two apostrophies. (Jen had to help me spell apostrophy). This isn't a jab at your grammar, more of a "job well done" for me to actually notice.
Picture Napoleon...YESSSSSSSSSSS.

Hilary said...

Good to see that college education finally kicking in there Tay!

Kris Tina said...

I had forgotten all about Oakcrest (I never went) these pictures almost make me wish I had . . . almost. But still - my idea of camping and Oakcrest - just don't mix.