Sunday, December 4, 2011

A Lean Mean Hat Making Machine!

Remember the beard beanie hats that I learned to make last February?



Well, Christmas is their busy season and I've been turning out an average of 6 hats a day, 6 days a week since the end of September.  My blog has been neglected, along with my house and so many other things. Don't even get me started about my lack of exercise this fall!  I figured 6 hats a day was all that I could handle, but Monday morning the lady I make them for sent out a mayday call to all her peeps (hat makers and bearders alike).  They were over 100 hats behind with orders coming in at every moment! To motivate all of us to make as many as we possibly could she told us she would pay us an extra $3.00/ per hat on top of what we were already making.  Apparently I'm motivated by money, I made 63 hats this week.  Did you realize that you can actually get sore from making so many hats?  My back is sore from using my knitting loom and my hands and wrists are sore from crocheting.  My kids have had to "step up" and do more of the household chores and Adam has been great to take over dinner and other responsibilities.  He likes to joke, "Well, at least one of us is making money right now."


When Adam takes over the cooking he doesn't just throw a pizza in the oven, he tries new recipes and throws together things like "yogurt parmesan chicken." He also supervised putting up the Christmas decorations.  Jenna was such a help in that department that I didn't even have to lift a finger.  I'm here, I'm present, I can talk and have discussions, I help the kids with their homework and with music practice but you better believe that I'm crocheting while doing all of these things.  Am I ready for Christmas?  Nope. Don't even have a plan.  I spend hours at my loom planning out exactly what has to be done so that I DON'T have to do this again next year. I'm going to have a massive stockpile of hats all ready by the time fall rolls around.  When I get the mayday call I'm going to open up a bin and say "How many do you need?"  I have it all figured out because I've had 63 hours this week to think about it!  Seriously, never again.  Here are the 12 hats I made yesterday.


That's a lot of hats in one day.

Someday I'll get my life back.  The other thing I like to think about while I work is the great church history trip these hats are paying for.  It is going to be awesome!

4 comments:

larah said...

Wow! Not only are you super talented but you might be a little crazy too. :-) Good luck with all the hat making. I hope that your hands survive.

Malinda said...

12 hats in one day. That's impressive! Picturing you at your loom makes me laugh a little. In my mental picture you are sitting cross-legged and have moccasins on. The whole loom thing just seems so Native American to me.

Kaylynn said...

I have been wondering how the sweat shop was going. Impressive!

Tricia said...

Wow Hilary! You are doing all this so that you can come see us??? (And see the other stuff too, of course.) I hope you get a massage when this is all done!