Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Jerusalem Supper

When Adam was growing up his family always had a special supper on Christmas Eve.  They would eat on the floor in the family room by candlelight and only eat things that would have been around during the time when Christ was born like grapes, olives, pita bread (unleavened bread) tuna fish (sans mayo or any extras) cheese, grape juice etc.  It was kind of their way of going back in time and remembering what it was like when Christ was born, a Jerusalem supper if you will.  Adam and I decided to bring this tradition back, but do it on the first Monday night in December as part of our family home evening to start the Christmas season.  Adam got all of the stuff at the grocery store and then the kids watched us putting together a very "weird" dinner.  We didn't say a word as we got out candles and started laying a bed sheet on the family room floor and putting stuff on it.  They couldn't figure out what we were doing and why we were doing it. "Uh, you guys are kind of freaking me out" was what Britton said as he watched the preparations with concern.  We got it ready and turned out the lights and started to explain what we were trying to accomplish with our Jerusalem supper.


In the end it was a bit hit.  We talked all about the first Christmas and what it might have been like back then and there is just something about eating by candlelight.  Next year when we do it again the kids won't be so "freaked out" by our weirdness.

3 comments:

Jeff & Liberty said...

Neat idea. Was everybody still hungry afterward? I think if we did that Sadie would say, "I'm still hungry" about a bajillion times.

Tiffany Salter said...

I LOVE this idea! We tried this for FHE this week. Let's just say that my little family was not impressed with the spread. I may have to try it again next year.

Kaylynn said...

You have changed your views of that tradition from what I remember. Doing it on FHE before Christmas is a great idea. Gotta love plain tuna!