Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Pumpkin Walk

Every year during the month of October there is a phenomenon around these parts called "The Pumpkin Walk" which is unlike anything you've ever seen.  People make scenes using as many pumpkins and gourds as they can and then everyone comes and walks around to look at them.  That's it. That's the famed "Pumpkin Walk" that draws thousands of people every year. Sounds pretty silly, doesn't it?  I've done the math and discovered that during the course of my lifetime I have spent 8 Octobers living in this area.  All 8 of these Octobers I heard all about the Pumpkin Walk, but each time found an excuse to not go (it's free so most of the excuses revolved around cold weather and the fact that it sounded a little silly). Well, this year I finally made it to "The Pumpkin Walk" and even though I've heard all about how great it is my expectations were low.   My parents came up to go with us and I could tell that my Dad had about the same thoughts as me.

This isn't a great picture, but once again I forgot to take enough pictures to ensure a good one. Oops.

Here is a Gilligan's Island scene made over the sand volleyball court at the park. 

People are clever and I must admit that  I was pleasantly surprised.  In short, I've become a Pumpkin Walk fan.  I think my Dad had the same reaction that I did.  He actually quite enjoyed it, much to his surprise.  We had a lovely dinner after the pumpkin walk and then my parents left to go back home.

The rest of the week we saw a little cold spell, just in time for Britton's soccer team party at the American West Heritage Center.  The kids got to ride ponies and we went through a corn maze all while trying to keep warm.






I guess it is time for me to come to grips with the fact that winter is coming. . . and quickly. November is just 2 days away which around here is the magical month where fall ceases to be and winter takes over in a big way.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

The Pumpkin Walk was fun and it was just fun being with your family. Thanks for allowing us to join in the fun.