Sunday, October 9, 2011

Mystery


Last Sunday night we went on a little family walk to enjoy the beautiful fall weather.  It was then that I first noticed a red spot on Korinne's face.  I asked her about it, but she told me it was nothing.  I told her it kind of looked like a burn, but she said it wasn't a burn so I thought maybe she had gotten some lipstick on her face or something.  Korinne is our family hypochondriac so I was sure she would be crying and practically hysterical if it was something that hurt so I didn't worry about it.  When she woke up the next morning the area was covered by one big blister.  That is when we knew that it was indeed a burn.  We asked her about it again, but she kept saying she had no idea how she got it.  I told her that she wasn't in trouble so she could tell us how she got a burn on her face. "I don't even know, Mom.  Really. It happened so long ago I just can't remember."

I have tried for days to get it out of her.  I've brought it up when she was happy and relaxed and in a good mood and still she has not deviated from the "I really have no idea how I got it" answer.  How does a 5 year old hypochondriac get a second degree burn on her face without knowing about it? This really has been quite the mystery.  Oh yeah, and did I mention that she got her school pictures taken 2 days later?  Sweet.  I'm pretty excited about that. Now let's hope we don't receive any surprise visits from the child protection people.

Korinne made it through her semi-annual Dentist appt. this week.  It is always a sigh of relief when we are done for another 6 months.  She gets so worried about it even though we tell her over and over that they are just going to clean her teeth.  This time the Dentist put some sealants on her teeth that are completely painless and yet she almost wouldn't do it.  I could hear them in the back (Adam and the Dentist) explaining to her that it didn't hurt and it was just a bright light, but she wasn't buying it.  Finally Adam told her that the Dentist might have to drill next time for a cavity if he couldn't put the sealant on her teeth and she promptly opened her mouth and let him work.  Adam had to go with her, of course, or else she wouldn't have even walked into the building.  We have gone through this every 6 months for 3 years and even though she has never had a painful experience she continues to be deathly afraid.

Hmmm...freaks out getting her teeth cleaned, but doesn't know how she got a nasty burn on her face.  The only thing that is predictable about Korinne is the fact that she isn't predictable!!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

We're glad she survived another dental visit. Good idea on the sealants.

Kaylynn said...

You would think you would notice a burn on your face. It is a good thing Adam is available to be her dental friend:)