Sunday, March 20, 2011

It's sooo good and healthy!

Korinne likes to cook.  Now she has started "thinking like a cook" (a phrase we learned while watching the show "The Worst Cooks in America" while I ran on the treadmill every Monday morning over a 6 week period).  Tonight I was getting ready to start dinner but before I could even begin Korinne had already set up her own work station and was cutting into a tomato.  She had her cutting board, a trusty butter knife, and a bowl to put the food in.  For ingredients she had a tomato and asparagus.  She did all of this 100% on her own and I had no idea what she was going to do with it.

"Korinne, what are you making?"
"It's a recipe that is sooo good and healthy!"

I let her fiddle around a bit.  When I took this picture she had a chopped tomato in a bowl mixed in with the asparagus.  Good color, good texture. Very healthy.  Her next creation was a salad.  She put some lemon juice and lime juice in the salad and added a few other things and then for crunch she added some crushed cheerios on top.  She didn't have us eat her salad, she just put it on the counter and told us it needed to dry a little before we could eat it.  She did assure us, however, that it was "sooo good and healthy".

"This is a good recipe, Mom, it is going to be sooo good."

I'm thrilled that she is so interested in cooking.  Whenever someone is cooking in the house, Korinne is right there.  She has gotten to the point of being somewhat helpful.  I can give her an assignment to snap the green beans and she is all over it.  She likes to cut things up and I'm amazed at how much she can do with a butter knife.  Another small kitchen victory is the fact that I've finally gotten my Brazilian rice and beans to a point that the kids are actually excited when I say we're having rice and beans for dinner.  We got cilantro and mangoes in our bountiful basket this week so we had rice and beans tonight with mango on the side, When Korinne set the table with leftover Luau paper plates with palm trees on them from Jenna's birthday party it made me feel like I was back in Brazil. So yummy.

1 comment:

larah said...

A future Chef in the making.