Monday, January 3, 2011

"Are You In Or Are You Out?"

At about 8:15 p.m. last night Adam received a phone call from his friend Dave, "Adam, come over to Josh's house (our next door neighbor) right now.  If you come over right now it will totally be worth your while."  Dave is one of the most entertaining guys I know. He is a "big idea" guy.  He comes up with big ideas on a daily basis and he definitely knows how to talk the talk.  When it comes to walking the walk, however, he struggles because he is way too busy coming up with new ideas to follow through with the old ideas. Adam went over Josh's house and after walking through the door Dave greeted him with this,

"Are you in or are you out?"

"What?"

"If you're not in then just leave right now.  So, are you in or are you out?"

Adam said he was in. The room contained 5 guys and an amused wife.  The project-- P90X.  A 90 day extreme home fitness program that isn't for the faint of heart.  It promises to deliver 6 pack abs and oodles of muscles.  The impromptu meeting was called to devise a plan to ensure that all 6 guys would complete the program and lose tons of weight and get super buff.  You see, Dave had inspired the right guys who would MAKE him follow through on his big idea.  They were going to do it and they were going to do it together.  Dave was leading the talk, of course, because that is his specialty.  He had everyone sign contracts and they all agreed to meet every night at 9 p.m. at one of their houses to complete the workouts together.  If they are late they have to pay $1.00 the first time, $2.00 the second time, $3.00 the third time etc.  If they don't show up at all they have to pay $ 5.00.  They have 2 sick days and 3 "my wife needs me at home but I will still work out for an hour on my own" days.

Failure is not an option.

They each wrote down a specific goal and the biggest loser gets the tardy money. Today is their first day and it is my privilege to have them in our unfinished basement at this very moment doing their first workout


Here are the "P90X"ers:

 Josh. 
"Woohoo!"

 Mike
"Hey, be sure to get my double chin in the picture"

 Ryan
"I could totally beat you up right now"

 Adam
"You guys are going down.  I've got this one"

 Mark
"What have I just gotten myself into?"

 Dave
"I am totally going to lose 50 lbs and have a six pack that is detectable by others"

 The preparation.

And their off!

These guys are hilarious and I am looking forward to seeing their progress.  All of this came about because of Dave's big idea after a Christmas caroling get together a few weeks ago when they all started doing push ups.  I hope they complete the program and have a lot of fun in the process.  I know that I'll have a lot of fun just watching.

Made it through their first workout.

7 comments:

larah said...

Love it! Sounds like you guys have great neighbors.

Heather said...

Did Tay hook you up with a few Rip:60's I noticed hanging?? What type of hook are you using to suspend them?

Jennifer said...

Hahahahahaha Love it.

Tiffany Salter said...

Awesome! I need neighbors like that!

Kristen said...

It's a crazy group you've got there. Hope they have fun.

Katie Jason said...

Sounds like a ton of fun!

Tricia said...

I just have to say this is hilarious. . . and awesome.