Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Decoy

Some of you asked to see a picture of Korinne's new do.  There is a reason I haven't posted one--I have yet to take a decent photo of her with groomed hair.  She is either uncooperative or unable to leave it properly groomed for more than 10 min. even after peacefully submitting to the grooming process.  This is the best I could do:


I know people probably judge me, but I cannot keep her hair looking like it was actually done. I try and try but she doesn't even make it through an hour of church on Sunday before she looks like she just crawled out of bed and showed up.  Just once I would like it to still be cute when it's time for Primary.

Today is Mother's Day.  Adam decided he was getting a bit predictable with Mother's Day, so he shook things up a bit.  Instead of leftover pizza for breakfast he went with chocolate cake donuts. (You can't go wrong with either option.)  Instead of giving me Nutty Bars first thing in the morning, he gave them to me after church. (He knows not to mess with Nutty Bars, they are a must.) 


Instead of the usual homemade rolls and steak for dinner, he made rice and beans and steak with romaine lettuce and freshly cooked tortillas so that I could make a Cafe Rio inspired salad.  It was awesome. 

He got me a container of my favorite lemonade.

But what I really love is that he knew that the kids would pounce at the sight of the lemonade and I wouldn't be able to have very much of it, so he bought a decoy container of juice to keep them at bay.

He got out the juice and we watched as they swooned and cheered and when they were all happy and content he pulled out the lemonade for me.  Decoy juice--he thought of everything!  Jenna is such a juice lover that I actually heard her chanting this while she danced around with a plastic cup, "I love minutes and I love maids but I really love them put together". 

Last week when he asked me what I wanted for Mother's Day I was very clear, "socks."  All of my socks are worn out and I need new socks.  He not only got me socks, but he also got new washclothes for the kitchen, and a bundt pan.  I know I must be boring and practical when I was thrilled and super surprised. Yup, boring, practical. . .and very happy.

The kids have yet to catch the vision of what I really want for Mother's day.  Oh sure, they presented me with all of the super cute cards and homemade notes, and I loved them, but what I really want is a full day of absolute peace and nothing but happiness.  Today there was a lot of "Britton is teasing me!" and "Jenna won't let me sit there!" and "Korinne is refusing to help us do the dishes!"  Oh well, there is always next year. . . .

Happy Mother's Day to you all!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

You are so spoiled but I'm very happy for you. I'm glad you had a pretty darned good Mother's Day.

Tricia said...

New washcloths. . . cool.