Sunday, February 21, 2010

You can go to Elk!

On Friday night we had the first of 3 small family birthday parties for Jenna. Aunt Kim and Uncle Ben came up to celebrate and Jenna asked  for a Chinese New Year party.  We got Chinese food (which Jenna didn't eat, of course, but she let us get it anyway so we were happy), played Chinese checkers, watched out for Chinese athletes while watching the Olympics, played "find the hidden Chinese flag" and had paper Chinese lanterns (which Jenna learned to make at school) for decorations. We were about as festive as we know how to be.  Here is Jenna with Uncle Ben eating ice cream.


On Saturday we went to Hardware Ranch which is a gathering place for wintering elk about 30 min. away.  You can ride in a horse drawn sleigh/wagon right through the elk herd.  The elk are free to come and go as they wish, but because they are fed and not threatened in any way they feel pretty comfortable just hanging around.  It was pretty cool.


The kids also enjoyed the visitors center nearby.



After our wagon ride they let the kids pet the horses.


The herds start to leave around the end of February so this was probably the last weekend we could have seen them this year.  It was a nice little excursion that was very "Libbie-esque".  I'm sure she would be proud.

3 comments:

Jeff & Liberty said...

As I was reading the post I was thinking, "wow, sounds like something I'd do...good job Hil." I laughed out loud when I got to the end of the post and you had written my thoughts. I am proud.
Happy Birthday to Jenna!

Kristen said...

Maybe next year we can join you. Dad is looking forward to some of those late basketball games too.

larah said...

Happy Birthday Jenna! What a fun party idea you had!

How fun that you were able to go out and see the elk too. That sounded like a good family activity!