Monday, February 8, 2010

Imagine

Imagination is a good thing.  When there is a couple feet of snow in the front yard and the temperatures are hovering in the teens I'm glad my kids have come up with a few ways to keep themselves entertained indoors.  Last week they pretended they were at Disneyland and ran around the family room and kitchen screaming because they were on the latest and greatest roller coaster.  They had the beach towels down in the family room where they rested in-between roller coaster rides and soaked up the "sun". They had a great time and it didn't cost me a cent.  A win-win for everyone. Yesterday they enlisted Adam on their newest adventure to the "beach".  The girls were in their swimming suits and they made Adam put on his yellow swimming suit over his church clothes.  Then they all chased each other around the basement with water guns.

Adam is always such a good sport when it comes to stuff like this.

To all of our "Settlers of Catan" friends out there- Adam and I have become well versed at one of the extension games called "Cities and Knights."
It's Settlers of Catan on steroids and we love it. There are a lot more ways to get points and it adds a whole new dimension to the game.  I was starting to get burned out on Settlers, but now I'm right back in the game.  We have some friends in the neighborhood that love to play and we have been having a lot of game nights.  I got Adam the Cities and Knights expansion game for Christmas so now we are ready to teach anyone who comes to visit.

Remember when the only way you could buy carrots in the store was like this?


Then you had to peel them before you could eat them, or cut them up into carrot sticks? Once the baby carrots in the bag came out I never bought carrots like this again.  Here is it years later and my kids had absolutely no idea that carrots even came like this.  When my Mom was here helping for a bit after my leg surgery she bought carrots in a bag and it was a novelty for the kids.  I realized that once they were peeled my kids liked eating the big carrots and would actually eat more then if they were eating baby carrots.  Ever since then I buy the bagged carrots and peel a few for dinner.

I just throw them on the table with everything else and they pick up a big carrot and eat the entire thing.  They look like Bugs Bunny but they are eating their carrots and that is all I really care about. I guess sometimes it pays to go retro.

4 comments:

Jeff & Liberty said...

I didn't know carrots could even be retro...but then again, how would I even know? Retro to the rest of the world is real time here.

larah said...

Well, maybe it we are feeling extra adventurous we'll have to play the expansion game with you. I don't know though...this is just one more way for you to learn to deflect for the win...ha, ha, ha.

Heather said...

I'm a big fan of real carrots. I won't buy 'baby' ones now that I know how they are treated. Yikes. No wonder our kids like the 'real' ones better! Go Bugs Bunny.

Tricia said...

We've been telling lots of "when I was a child" stories lately and have included the "we had to peel our own carrots" bit. We've also talked about typewriters, having no email or internet and walking to school a long ways without a parent. (We won't mention piling everyone into the car - more people than the car had seat belts for.) Has the world changed so much that our kids don't know about peeling carrots?