Friday, December 4, 2009

Family Dinner

I'm a true believer in eating dinner as a family every night. At our house Korinne always wants to sit by Dad, Jenna usually doesn't eat very much but refuses to complain because she wants to earn her 10 dinner points (our point system has been a life saver) and Britton has to be reminded to actually use his utensils about 2 times on average per meal. Well, tonight as we were eating dinner Britton randomly said:
"I memorized the electromagnetic spectrum today. Microwaves, radio waves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet light, x-rays, and gamma rays."
I didn't think that was typical 2nd grade curriculum, but I asked anyway, "Are you learning about that in school right now?"
"No"
"Then how do you know about that?"
"Oh, it is just something I've been studying."
"Does your teacher know you've been studying this?"
"Yeah, I told her."
"What did she say?"
"She said, 'cool'."
Adam and I just chuckled. She probably had no idea what to do with that information. Britton then went on to talk all about astronomy and our solar system for another 15 minutes. By this time Jenna was in her own world singing and laughing and laying down in her chair and Korinne had just finished telling Jenna, "If you don't stop {something} then I will laugh at you. Ha! Ha! Ha!" only the way she said it made us all stop and laugh. Her follow-up was that she couldn't help with the dishes tonight because she is a dog. I think she even said a few "ruff ruffs" for effect. It didn't do much for her case, but it did make me smile.

There you have it. A typical, random night at our dinner table. I don't know about you, but I'm sure I will sleep better tonight knowing that Britton really does know the electromagnetic spectrum. You just never know when that piece of information might come in handy.

5 comments:

Kate said...

Go Britton!! That is so funny!! So....you need to share your WHOLE reward system with all of us. I think I'm in major need of something like that!!

Emily said...

Glad to know that my 6 year old girl is normal. We get the "I'm a puppy excuse" as well!
Love random fact finding as well! Good job, Britton!

Kristen said...

Go Britton. Go Jenna. Go Korinne.

Justin and Breanne said...

Ok so I have to admit I think that your blog is so fun. Thanks for giving me a quick break to read something fun. See you tomorrow!

Katie Jason said...

Your family is cool! I will have to learn more about your points system :)