Monday, February 2, 2015

Good Times

I know I blogged about Britton and Jenna's "Beat the Teach" reading competition at the middle school a few months ago.  It ended sometime in January but they finally got around to giving out the prizes to the winners this week. Last year Britton won the whole thing with about 13,000 pages, but this year he had to "up the program" because he had a lot of kids trying to beat him.  He read over 17,500 pages to win for the 2nd year in a row. Crazy. I can't say I loved the competition because Britton was so focused on reading he couldn't do anything else, but when he came home with the grand prize of 4 season passes to the Aquatic Center for this summer (worth $275.00) I decided it was all worth it. :-) Jenna also picked up a free pizza and an awesome necklace set. Sweet. Good job, kids!

Sometimes Jameson has a hard time going to bed at night.  One night this week Adam told him that if he came downstairs he was going to have to sleep in his own room by himself (instead of being able to sleep in Jenna's room).  Adam could hear him on the stairs and waited for him to turn the corner into his office, but he never did. Before long Adam heard deep breathing and found Jameson asleep on the stairs.



Looks super comfy, doesn't it?  He is in that dreaded stage where 1 nap a day is too much, but not having a nap is too little.   It makes it hard to avoid meltdowns.

Friday night we had a surprise retirement party for my Dad.  My Dad has talked about retiring for about 10 years and I can't even count how many times his retirement date has been pushed back, but he FINALLY did it. . .well, kind of.  He accepted another job that will start on Wednesday, but it is supposed to be very flexible and he'll only have to work when he wants. . .which may be a lot, knowing my Dad. (Ha!)  When it comes to my parents and their plans I have adopted a "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude, but I'm definitely not opposed to celebrating a retirement, whenever it may be!

 
Surprise! Heather and 3 of her 6 kids made the quick trip to celebrate.



Britton held down the fort while my parents, Heather and her oldest son Tanner, and Adam and I went to Elements.

At the restaurant we took so many selfies and food pictures it was kind of embarrassing.  Obviously I don't get out much. :-)



Bacon wrapped turkey with sweet potatoes and beans. Yes, please!


The kids were more than happy to continue the party back at the house with some pies from Marie Calendars.



Hopefully my Dad will enjoy this new phase of his life. We certainly enjoyed celebrating its arrival with him.

Sunday we celebrated the start of Grandma's birthday month.



Why only celebrate on one day when you can party for a month? That's my Mom's philosophy.  We were happy to be the first installment of birthday cheer.  Jameson was adamant about wrapping up his favorite toy and giving it to her.  She got all excited and they posed for a picture and then he promptly took his toy back.  It's all in the thought at his age but it sure made the rest of us smile.

Happy February!

No comments: