Saturday, November 15, 2014

Mother Knows Best

I'm not the kind of person that has to be right all of the time but when it comes to dressing for cold weather it kind of drives me crazy that my family won't listen to me.

"It's going to be cold you'll need to take a jacket/coat."
"If I were you I would wear something a little warmer, it's going to be cold today."
"That's a really light jacket and it's going to be cold, you should probably wear a coat today."

Most of the time my suggestions are ignored completely.  For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would knowingly go out into the cold without being prepared.  It is so simple, really.  Why, why, why would you plan to be cold and miserable if you can avoid it?? I just don't get it. 

On Wednesday Britton came down dressed for an outdoor soccer practice wearing a short sleeve shirt and shorts.  "Uh, Britton, it's 28 degrees outside, you're going to need to wear something under your uniform."  After some convincing he finally put a long sleeve shirt under his jersey but when I told him to put on some sweat pants he said, "I'll just run around, I'll be fine."  I went up and got some pants and put a hat and gloves in his bag before he left.  Turns out none of the boys on the team were dressed appropriately for the weather (too cool, I guess) so they had to end 30 min. early and tell parents to pick up their freezing kids.  When the carpool dropped him off he walked in wearing every ounce of clothing I put in his bag. "Aren't you glad I put some extra stuff in your bag?" He just smiled and started laughing, "Yeah." Ok, so I may or may not have made him say "You were right, Mom" out loud to prove a point.  Do you think he will listen next time?  Probably not.  Later that night Adam came home saying, "You were right, I should have taken a jacket today.  It was really cold."  Yeah, I know. This is one case that Mother really does know best.

We had our first snowfall of the season.  Korinne and Jameson were excited to get out and have some fun.



With the significant drop in temperature our coco-motion came out of the cupboard and was in constant use.  Jameson became so fond of it he played with it long after the hot chocolate was gone. He would put water and ice in it and push the button so it would all spin around and get hot. 



It was all fun and games until he put too much water in.  That's when I had to pull the plug on the operation.

I put new pictures of the kids up on our wall in our family room this week. When Jameson saw me hanging up his picture he exclaimed, "Hey, it's me. I look good!" Clearly he has been hanging out with Grandpa P. :-)

One of Jameson's favorite books is an M & M cookbook.


He found it on a shelf and has been obsessed with it for quite some time now.  I will often find him on his stomach with the book open in front of him flipping through the pages.


He even asks me read it to him like a regular story book. Reading a cookbook to a toddler is a new experience for me so mostly I just read the names of each recipe and turn to the next page.  Poor kid, I haven't made a single recipe out of this book and don't plan to any time in the near future.

This morning we woke up to enough snow to get the snow blower out.  Jameson was happy to be out "helping" Dad.


 
Ready or not, winter is officially here.

No comments: