Sunday, August 3, 2014

Chicken Power Club

It's not just a clever blog title, it's an actual thing.  Jenna is part of the Chicken Power Club and has dutifully gone to the school to take care of chickens at sunrise and sunset every time she was scheduled this summer.  Mrs. A, the same teacher that does the Panda Power club and the stock market game, started it and has the students taking care of the chickens so they can sell the eggs and donate the money to the local food bank.  It's called "Hens 4 Hunger" and the local newspaper ran a story about a it on the front page a few weeks ago.  The day the story came out we ran out to get a paper and saw that Jenna made the front page. . . kind of.


She is blurry in the background on the right of the picture.  Yeah, she's pretty famous now.


Here she is on Thursday at 8:45 p.m. getting the chickens ready for the night.  When she is on the morning shift she goes down at about 7:30 a.m. 

If someone were to ask me what the worst part about parenting is I would not hesitate in giving my answer-- POTTY TRAINING! All caps. Exclamation point.  Britton and Jenna were potty trained in a weekend and did great but Korinne really put us over the edge. If  I could sum up our experience with Korinne in one word it would be "excruciating".  She can be a stubborn girl when she wants to be and well, she wanted to be when it came to the potty.  I didn't even attempt to start potty training any of them before they were 3.  I didn't want a year of accidents, I just wanted to be done.  Why am I talking about this?  A few weeks ago I bought some Thomas the Train underwear online and decided to start thinking about it for Jameson.  I figured I would find a time in the next few months to just get it over with and done.  Jameson has shown more signs than the other kids and has gone in the toilet a few times just for fun and since he really loathed having his diaper changed, I thought I would at least think about it.  I was not prepared, however, for him to find the Thomas underwear on Tuesday morning of this last week.  Once he saw it, it was over.  He wanted to wear the underwear and he wanted to wear it now.  Not only did he want to wear it, but he also wanted to wear a pair on his head and he wanted Elmo to wear it, too.  In fact, I would say that it was a real underwear fest all day Tuesday.




Jameson knew just what to do and went to the bathroom all day long.  Once he discovered I would give him fruit snacks for going in the toilet he started working the system.  After successfully using the bathroom he would finish his fruit snacks and ask for more.  When I told him it was just for going in the potty he would say, "Ok" and run back in the bathroom and let out another tablespoon or so of pee.  Then he would jump off and say, "Fruit sacks, please!"  He can literally pee on demand. I've never seen anything like it. After the potty training "honeymoon period" he started realizing that it wasn't fun to have to go to the bathroom all of the time so now I have to scoop him up every so often and make him sit on the toilet. If I can get him to sit on the toilet he'll go every time, but he isn't great about coming to us when he needs to go. To sum it all up he's doing well, but I still kind of regret letting him go for it.  He has stayed dry during naps and at night so I know he is very capable, he's just too busy (and a little young) to go to a full 100% accident free lifestyle.

Jenna had swimming lessons this week.  They worked on advanced skills and she got to jump into the pool wearing a long sleeve shirt and pants which she thought was cool.  We went the last few minutes of the last day to see her.



Jenna and Korinne both finished up "Fun in the Sun" on Friday.  Their cousin Abigail got to do it with them while she was in town. Here's the group during a project field trip to Lowe's.

 
On Friday and Saturday Adam went mountain biking with the Venture Scouts.  He has had a full summer and has discovered that summer Bishoping involves a lot of camping.  After Young Women's camp, Youth Conference, Scout Camp and camping with the Venture Scouts he had plenty of opportunities to bond with the youth of our ward.
 

 
My brother Taylor went back to China after spending a few weeks here, but Jen, Will and June will be here for a little while longer.  Yesterday we got to go to Farmer's Market with them and go swimming in the late afternoon.  Jameson is glad his friends are around a little longer.  He will go through withdrawals when there aren't any more cousins to play with.
 




 
We learned that late afternoon Saturday swimming means no crowds. Awesome.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

It's been fun to have the siblings and cousins. I will miss them too.