Sunday, November 18, 2012

R.I.P

My computer died last week.  If you want to know how much you use your computer, just have it die suddenly and see how things go. It has been a super fun experience (insert sarcastic tone here).  I was on it when Jameson got to the surge protector and flipped the switch sending the computer, screen and printer into blackout.  The printer and the monitor recovered, but my computer never turned on again. The "mother board" was shot, said the geeky computer guy we took it to, and there was nothing to be done.  The computer was 4 years old, practically a dinosaur we were told, and it was time to let go.  The whole situation was an annoyance rather than a catastrophe, thanks to Carbonite, my online backup.  Never once did I panic about something being lost and I have a LOT of irreplaceable family history and pictures on my computer.  Having an online backup is the best $5.00 I spend each month.

So, what have we been up to? Well, Jameson has mastered going down the stairs.  He has been going up them for months, but finally figured out how to come back down.

 
This is his favorite box to play in. Who needs toys?
 
He is also getting closer to walking and has taken his first steps.  I don't have documentation because he decided to take his first step during the middle of deacon's quorum in church today (clearly the most logical place) and I was busy teaching Relief Society.  Jameson, can you please plan to do major milestones when we're together and I have a camera? That would be great, thanks.

Britton finished up his soccer season and is now down to just one soccer practice a week. *insert cheering* The only reason they can still practice in the winter is because they have access to an indoor football field at the University. For the club it's a blessing, but for select parents (myself included) it is kind of a curse. We never get a break. But, Britton absolutely loves it so it's hard to put a stop to it.  He has also been taking a pre-team swim class to see if he would enjoy being on a swim team. When he told me he wanted to try swimming I had to do some research to see if swim teams for non high school kids even existed. Well, they do and I found out that there isn't just one, but two local swim teams around here. Who knew? The only stroke that still needs work before Britton can be on the team is the Butterfly. Britton was looking really good in his classes and I've come to appreciate what a great sport swimming is.  I really wish I had learned correct swim technique years ago so my transition into triathlons wouldn't be so overwhelming. 

Just before Halloween Britton had a piano recital where he played "Fur Elise" by Beethoven.  He did a great job.  He had to go straight to a soccer game after the recital and I was worried about how we were going to change clothes with so little time, but then I saw that costumes were optional so Britton dressed as a soccer player for his Halloween recital. Perfect.


Jenna also took swimming lessons the last few weeks and is making great progress.  She is a first year orchestra student at her elementary school but because took private violin lessons for a year before starting orchestra at school they are going to move her to the second year orchestra class after Christmas.  This is great news for me because then she and Britton will be together and it will be one less thing to coordinate.

Jenna's best friend, Maryn, moved to Arizona at the beginning of November so it has been sad for Jenna.  Here they are on their last day together.

 
They were always very serious together as you can see.

They are two peas in a pod so we were sad to see Maryn go.  They call each other on the phone every couple of days and are determined to stay in touch.

Korinne will be getting a new school teacher after the Thanksgiving break.  Her current teacher, Mrs. Mickelson, is having to retire early because of health problems so this Tuesday morning we will get to meet her new teacher Mrs. Cook.  Korinne is a little anxious, but hopefully will handle the change well.  She is getting excited for her birthday this week.

The last little while my exercise routine has been suffering.  I've had difficulty motivating myself to do hard workouts because I don't have anything I'm specifically training for. The reality is I need to have better workouts so I can eat! (I kind of like to eat, it is very important to me) So, I was contemplating taking the big leap and just paying for a membership to the Sports Academy where I had my kids in a 4 week session for swim lessons.  I wasn't excited about how much it was going to cost but I knew having a ton of classes to go to would really motivate me and get me going.  The night before I was going to go and find out about a membership I was talking to a good friend of mine who said, "Hey, they are looking for someone right now, as in today, to help at the sports Academy preschool for 4 hours a week (which is what she does).  If you do that you get a free family membership." What? Free family membership??  The next day I was in the office of the person in charge of the preschool and started as the newest preschool aide 2 days later.  I guess there is a waiting list for people wanting to work at the preschool for free memberships, but because one of the current staff referred me I got to the top of the list.  They have a kids club for Jameson when I'm in the preschool or working out on other days that costs 25 cents an hour. Yes, that means my 4 hour stint in the preschool on Mondays costs me $1.00 in child care for Jameson.  Yea! I've already been to several workout classes and have the sore muscles to prove it.  Jameson is still getting used to the kids club, but I'm sure he'll really grow to love it.

So that's what has been going on in our neck of the woods.  Adam is staying really busy these days with work and his calling in YM's.  He went on his first camp out Friday night.  The scoutmaster is a die hard and makes sure there is a camp out each month, winter included. How fun for him.  I'll stay in my nice warm bed on November 17th, thank you very much. Britton can't wait until he turns 12 and gets in on all of the action.  It's hard for him to see and hear about all of the fun activities Adam does with the YM and not be able to go, too. He's only got 9 more months, but the wait just may kill him.

3 comments:

Tiffany Salter said...

Wow- never thought I would hear of the day when you would voluntarily (albiet with good reasons) work at a preschool. Way to go!

Malinda said...

Tiffany's comment made me laugh. I thought the exact same thing. :)

My laptop died a couple of months ago, so I feel your pain. I've kind of adopted Nate's.

Kaylynn said...

It is amazing how much our lives involve computers. My internet was down for 3 days and that drove us crazy. I might look into your online backup idea. It is funny that you would be excited to work at the preschool. It is a good preschool. We didn't go there, but we went to gymnastics and walked past it everyday.