Sunday, June 15, 2014

World Cup

Our family was excited for the start of the World Cup this week in the host country of Brazil.


In general Americans don't know about or care much for the World Cup, but since Adam and I have both lived in South American countries where the people eat, sleep and breath the World Cup we get a little more excited about it these days.  It only happens every 4 years and the opening match was on Thursday afternoon between Brazil and Croatia so Adam stayed home from work and the entire family watched the game in the middle of the day.  It was our family kick-off party and it was so fun.  Even Korinne tolerated it since she could watch something on TV during a week day which is unheard of around our house. 

Living in Brazil during the 1998 World Cup was definitely an experience to remember.  Brazil made it to the finals that year and I have never seen a country get so excited about a sporting event. Never.  It doesn't even touch the Superbowl, or the NBA finals, or even the Olympics.  It is complete pandemonium with every street decorated and murals painted along the roads.  I took a picture of this one because I thought it was funny that they misspelled welcome in English.


The night that Brazil lost to France in the World Cup final everyone was so depressed no one would even talk to us.  The streets were silent and it was eerie.  During all of Brazil's games our Mission President instructed us to go inside our apartments and study since working would be impossible.  Every single person in the entire country was watching the game and when Brazil scored a goal the whole country erupted.  Seriously, I've never experienced anything like it.

Since we are talking about soccer already I'll add that Britton's team changed a little bit from last week.  In the end a few of the kids from his U13 premier team didn't commit so the team collapsed, meaning they didn't have the numbers they needed, and Britton went back up to the U14 Select team.  Yes, he'll be playing up another year, but this year they were able to get some kids they haven't had before so I think it will be a better year for the team.  Practices started this week.

Jameson had his last speech appointment this week.  He started speech when he was around 19 months because he wasn't speaking at all, but in the last few months he has really blossomed and is talking quite a bit.  He is making so much progress that we decided to discontinue his formal speech therapy appointments.  They only came once a month so it wasn't very intensive anyway.  It is fun to finally be able to hear Jameson talk and tell us what he wants.  He is putting 2 and 3 words together and sometimes the way he says things makes us laugh.  He is such a character and his facial expressions are hilarious.

Saturday was my Mom's annual Flag Day breakfast and since Adam had to be at Academy's corporate offices in Salt Lake for a meeting on Friday we all decided to go with him. While he worked, we went to the zoo.


It was such a great idea that everyone else in the state had it, too, and it was CROWDED. (Don't let this picture fool you, we took it right before we left so there weren't very many people coming in at that time).  But the zoo is one of the things you can still enjoy with crowds because you aren't waiting in lines for things.




The seals and sea otters were our favorite.  This one just came and parked in front of the glass for awhile.



The girls and Jameson enjoyed a ride on the carousel.  Britton decided he was ok to watch from the sidelines. 






The lion drinking fountain is one of the few things I remember about Hogle Zoo when I was a kid.  Even though today the zoo if very different, they still let you drink water out of a lion's mouth.


I didn't manage to take any pictures of Saturday's flag day breakfast, but I'm sure my Mom did so you can check her blog if you really want to see them.  Mom and Dad's new house being 2 houses down from the park helped a LOT. 
 
Jenna has been saving up her babysitting money for a new bike and yesterday was the day she was able to go to the store and buy it. 
 
 
She loves it and is excited to have a bike that finally fits her.  (She kind of looked like a clown riding around on such a small bike. If you haven't noticed she has grown quite a bit in the last 2 years.)
 
Britton started seeing how much money Jenna was making babysitting and decided to find his own way to make money.  His candy selling venture has been successful, but now that summer is in full swing he is making good money mowing lawns. He has 2 regular weekly customers and another family has said they will use them when they finally finish getting their yard in. 
 
Today is Father's Day.  I'm not a sappy sort of gal, but I will tell you that I give my Dad and Adam a big 2 thumbs up!  Thanks for all that you do, we're all spoiled.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Thanks for your family's help with the breakfast. I thought it went well. Congrats to Jenna on earning money for her bike. Those are such good lessons to learn.